Monett man arrested after hitting Patrol vehicleA Monett man was arrested following a wreck involving a police vehicle on Sunday at 6:59 a.m. on Highway 37, half a mile south of Purdy. According to a Missouri State Highway Patrol report, Kelvin...
Signing up for summer funThe Monett Area YMCA, Monett Library Teen Ambassador Group and the Clark Center set up shop in Monett’s South Park Friday to sign youngsters up for summer programs.
- Teen injured in wreck south of Aurora (6/15/21)
- $6 million in library lease financing approved (6/12/21)
- Opportunity for student entrepreneurs (6/12/21)
- Hwy. 90 resurfacing one of many projects (6/12/21)
- Summer fun in the sun (6/12/21)
- A day at the links (6/12/21)
- News in brief (6/12/21)
- COVID actives consistent in last week (6/9/21)
- Former Purdy teacher to lose license over love letter (6/9/21)1
- Monett woman killed in Hwy. 37 wreck (6/9/21)
- Crane man dies in Barry County accident (6/9/21)
- 2 more charged in Butterfield murder (6/9/21)
- Sales tax receipts rebound in May (6/9/21)
- Freedom and Fireworks finalized (6/9/21)
- Limited time to set off consumer grade fireworks (6/9/21)
- Have a safe and sane July 4 celebration (6/9/21)
- St. Mary’s annual picnic returns (6/9/21)
- Fishin’ in the park (6/9/21)
- Women on Wheels take to area highways and byways (6/9/21)
- News in brief (6/9/21)
- Monett man arrested after hitting Patrol vehicle
- Teen injured in wreck south of Aurora
- Bowman to ball at Baptist Bible College
- Former Purdy teacher to lose license over love letter
- Pierce City pool still undergoing clean-up efforts
- Monett woman killed in Hwy. 37 wreck
- 2 more charged in Butterfield murder
- Arvest Bank named among ‘World’s Best’
- Verona pair plead to child’s death
- Verona’s Coach Nash remembered
- Monett tennis reflects on banner yearFor the first time in more than 40 years, Monett boys tennis players swung their rackets in the state tournament, making 2021 a banner year for the Cubs as a team and individually. Jason Smith, Monett tennis coach, said the highlight of the season by far was winning the Class 1, District 11 Tournament — for the first time since 1980 — over Mt. Vernon, 5-3...
Verona Graduation 2021 (5/29/21)
Pierce City Graduation 2021 (5/26/21)
Purdy Graduation 2021 (5/26/21)
Purdy State Softball Championship vs. Holcomb — May 23, 2021 (5/24/21)
Purdy State Softball Semifinal vs. Advance — May 22, 2021 (5/23/21)
Monett Graduation 2021 (5/19/21)
Monett Prom 2021 (5/5/21)
Pierce City Prom 2021 (5/1/21)
Kyle Troutman: Free to beThough we do not see many expressions of it locally, June is recognized as LGBTQ Pride Month, a celebration of people enjoying the freedom to be who they are. The LGBTQ (Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer) community has over the past few years found a greater level of acceptance, but much more can be done, especially in our area...
Kyle Troutman: Come on, summerThough the cool temperatures and recent rains are a far cry from the norm, the release of children from school and the arrival of June means one thing — summer is coming. I, for one, cannot be more ready after this spring’s events. I have been scooting throughout Barry and Lawrence counties for the past few months covering the eight school districts and more than 25 spring athletics programs in our newspapers’ coverage areas, and while I enjoy the job, I’m due for a few nights at home...
Chaplain Cathy Lewis: Memorial Day’s different anglesDear Editor: One cannot name a street or church or school that has not faced a death during this past year. Death affected all ages and came dressed in both normal and abnormal costumes. Not every death certificate said COVID. First, as a chaplain, I want to pause and thank the ambulance drivers and every staff member at our funeral homes. These silent Heroes went 24-7 to be sure the sick and dying and deceased were taken care of appropriately...
Kyle Troutman: Honoring hometown heroesMonday marks a sobering day for the nation, as we are called to remember those who have made the supreme sacrifice for this country and for our freedom. This Memorial Day is shaping up to be a special one for the Monett area, and suggestions on this page in the last two weeks may lend to more recognitions in the future...
R E (Gene) Ballay: Remembrances of Ballay bolster highway naming proposalDear Editor: Last week, Mr. Donnie Ellis submitted to your paper a proposal that a portion of North Highway H be named after Sgt. James Ballay, KIA in 1970 Cambodia. In support of this proposal, I put together a set of more than 70 PowerPoint slides that included remembrances and photos of Vietnam-Cambodia by Jimmy’s fellow Screaming Eagles and tried to deliver them to city hall, only to be told that, “No one in a position of authority was available to speak with me.”...
Local blood drive sees 61 donors (6/5/21)A total of 61 donors recently took part in the American Red Cross blood drive at St. Lawrence Catholic Church of Monett. First time donors included Elaina Cremer, Molly Johnson and Jennifer Rice. Milestone donations for recent drives include Joni Potter, one gallon; Jana Bible, two gallons; Randy Kristek, five gallons; Danny Potter, six gallons; and Gerry Bounds, 19 gallons...
Monett Chapter of DAR awards certificates, scholarship (6/5/21)The Monett Chapter of Daughters of the American Revolution awarded certificates and scholarship checks to local high school award winners on Saturday, April 13.
Retired teachers make library donation (5/22/21)Barry County Retired School Personnel recently donated $500 to Barry-Lawrence Regional Library.
Compassus celebrates volunteers (4/17/21)This past year has emphasized the importance and power of connection. When the pandemic limited face-to-face interaction, Compassus volunteers continued to lend their time and unwavering support to members of the community facing serious and life-limiting illness – even from a distance...
Million Meals campaign underway (4/17/21)Arvest Bank kicked off its 11th annual Million Meals campaign, which will continue through May 29. The campaign’s goal is to provide at least one million meals to those in need and it benefits more than 90 locally selected organizations throughout Arvest’s four-state footprint...
Trinity Lutheran School announces honor graduates (6/12/21)Trinity Lutheran School announced graduation honors for the class of 2021. Valedictorian Halle Schoen (left), daughter of Marcus and Sandra Schoen, has attended Trinity since PreSchool.
Let’s go fly a kite (6/12/21)With the recent improvement in Missouri weather, students of Teresa Hopper’s kindergarten class, at St. Mary’s Catholic School in Pierce City, welcomed spring by decorating and flying kites.
Monett Taco Bell awards employee $10,000 Live Más Scholarship (6/9/21)Monett Taco Bell awarded one of its employees, Sara Farmer, of Pierce City, with $10,000 for school to pursue her passion. Farmer has been a Taco Bell team member since 2019 and plans to use the...
Verona Elementary releases third quarter honor roll (6/9/21)Students on the Verona Elementary Third Quarter Honor Roll include: 3rd Grade A Honor Roll: Sophie Keim. 3rd Grade A/B Honor Roll: Tavia Lechner, Gunner Martinez and Maria Vargas. 4th Grade A Honor...
MHS Outstanding Achievement Awards (6/2/21)Officials at Monett High School have released the list of students who have earned the President’s Award for Outstanding Academic Achievement.
Shirley Ann Poage (6/14/21)Shirley Ann Poage, 74, of Pierce City, Mo., passed away on Sunday morning, June 13, 2021, while at Cox South Medical Center following a short illness. Shirley was born on June 12, 1947, in Monett,...
Ben William Shelton (6/9/21)Ben William Shelton, 80, of Marionville, died Tuesday, Dec. 29, 2020, at the Birch Pointe Health and Rehabilitation Center in Springfield. A graveside service under the direction of the...
Chad Lee Holland (6/9/21)Chadwick “Chad” Lee Holland, 48, of Pierce City, died Sunday, June 2, at Cox-Monett Hospital in Monett. The family will announce services at a later time.
Robert Alan Fristoe (6/9/21)Robert Alan Fristoe, 59, of Shell Knob, died Saturday, June 5. Services will be held at 6 p.m. Monday, June 7, at Lakeside Christian Church in Shell Knob. Cremation arrangements are under direction...
Lenore Droska (6/9/21)Lenore Droska, 101, of Wentworth, died Saturday, June 5, 2021, at Westgate at Wildwood Ranch in Joplin. Funeral Mass will be at St. Agnes Catholic Church in Sarcoxie, on Thursday, June 10 at 10:30...
Shirley Blackburn (6/9/21)Shirley Ann Blackburn, 89, of Mt. Vernon, died at 6:25 p.m. June 5, at her home. Celebration of Life Service will be held at 10:30 a.m. on Tuesday, June 8, at the Fossett Mosher Funeral Home in Mount...
MULTI FAMILY GARAGE SALE!!!Will include name brand clothing, shoes, jewelry, household items, and MORE!! The sale will start at 12 P.M. Friday, June 18th and 7 A.M. on Saturday, June 19th. Looking forward to seeing you there! ADDRESS: 69 Winchester, Monett Woodland Hills...
Garage SalesYARD SALE: 306 W. Cale, Monett. June 18-19 8am-?. TV, DVD, CD Players, misc. stuff. Everything must go. AM/FM stereo, movies & CD's.
Garage SalesMOVING SALE: Saturday, June 19, 403 Highland Ave., Monett. 7AM to 4PM. Large selection of items.
Garage SalesDON'T MISS this sale! 812 8th St., Monett. June 17-18. No sales before 8 am. Vintage dishes, ladies clothing, jewelry, unique items. Come see!
Latest State News
- British lawyer Karim Khan sworn in as ICC's chief prosecutor
- The Latest: Putin arrives at venue for summit with Biden
- Face to face: Biden, Putin ready for long-anticipated summit
- Greenpeace apologizes, local police slam Euro 2020 protester
- Lebanon's crisis threatens one of its few unifiers, the army