Scott Tech DECA students compete at state
Six qualify for international competition later this month
Six DECA students from the Scott Regional Technology
Center in Monett advanced to international competition following their showing at the 71st annual Missouri DECA State Career Development Conference, held at Crown Center in Kansas City from March 24 to 26.
DECA is an international association of high school students studying marketing, finance, hospitality, and management. Nearly 2,000 high school marketing students, teachers, and administrators from across the state attended the state event. Missouri DECA has more than 7,900 members with 150 chapters across Missouri.
During the DECA Conference in Kansas City, members were evaluated by more than 150 business and industry professionals who serve as competitive events judges. Participating students competed in problem-solving realistic workplace topics and case studies through one-on-one interaction with an executive or community member.
Students also participated in principles of business administration, individual series events, business operations research projects, team decision making events, chapter team projects, leadership academies, and entrepreneurship projects. DECA’s industry-validated competitive events are aligned with the National Curriculum Standards in the career clusters of marketing, business management, and administration, finance, and hospitality and tourism.
Winners at the state conference earned the right to advance to International DECA competition that will be held April 26-May 1, 2019 in Orlando, Fla.
The following students from the Scott Tech's DECA chapter advanced to International competition:
● Pollyanna Johnson (Monett) and Eric Carsten (Aurora), SBE Gold Re-Certification
● Isamar Ibarra (Monett) and Alexandra Valenciano (Monett), third place, Creative Marketing Project
● Kenyon Broten (Aurora), fourth place, Food and Restaurant Management
● Briana Mejia (Monett), fifth place, Learn and Earn Project
Three other students placed in the top 8 for their events:
● Erin Reed (Crane), Integrated Marketing Plan-Service
● Gavin Bailey (Monett) and Gabriel George (Pierce City), Sports & Entertainment Team Decision Making.