LawCo board awards $30,000; Grants benefit clients with developmental disabilities

Friday, May 2, 2014

reporter@monett-times.com

Approximately $30,000 in grant requests have been awarded to agencies assisting Lawrence County clients with developmental disabilities.

The Lawrence County Tax Board for the Developmentally Disabled has approved two grant requests from the Monett Area Workshop totaling $3,673.36. The first, in the amount of $963.11, was to purchase a Canon copier to replace a unit purchased in 2005. Maintenance technicians reported to Mica Plummer, director at the workshop, that finding replacement parts was becoming difficult for the aging machine.

The second request, in the amount of $2,710.25, was to purchase two new paper shredders for workers, increasing the number of job opportunities for disabled employees. Lawrence County's portion of the purchase is 37 percent, serving 16 Lawrence County employees, with the remaining $4,614.75 in funds submitted to the Barry County Tax Board, which has 27 clients at the workshop.

Community Support Services, which serves 12 Lawrence County clients enrolled in the Partnership for Hope waiver, which covers the costs of personal assistants, day habilitation and transportation services, requested $1,800 for the remaining fiscal year. The grant provides the 20 percent match for services, with the remaining 80 percent funded trough state and federal programs. There is an annual cap of $12,000 per participant per year.

Community Services also requested the board consider expanding the program to 15 clients, which would be used to meet needs in the county, including OATS workshop transportation and self-directed personal assistant services.

Cost of services without the waiver, could exceed $183,000 annually.

The LCDD board also approved a $500 request from Community Support Services to initiate an adaptive devices demonstration library.

Several items are available to those with developmental disabilities to make daily living safer and easier, including rocker knives and assistive devices to hold pots and pans in the kitchen. Items in the library would give caregivers and clients opportunities to evaluate items for personal use and make informed decisions on what to purchase.

The Joplin Regional Office, which is run by the state of Missouri Department of Mental Health and serves two Lawrence County clients, requested $2,076.75 for matching costs in transporting those individuals to the Workshop.

The board also approved an additional $21,153.50 to the Joplin Regional Office for the comprehensive waiver program, which provides a 40 percent match for one client for 12 months. A portion of those funds will be used for the clients personal assistant and agency contractor, plus a portion held in reserve should additional services become necessary throughout the fiscal year.

The LCDD is a locally-based agency that was formed to provide services and funds to help persons with developmental disabilities and is funded through a local property tax, which was voted on and approved by Lawrence County residents. The board is governed by nine local board members who are appointed by the Lawrence County Commission.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: