Fire destroys Philip Haase home in Wentworth on Jan. 24

Friday, January 25, 2013
Times Photos by Murray Bishoff

Monett firefighters joined Pierce City Rural firemen in battling a structure fire at the Philip Haase home in Wentworth on Jan. 24. The house was located directly behind the Pierce City Rural fire station on Highway J in Wentworth. According to reports, the Haases and one of their children were at home when the fire was discovered in the attic. A popping sound alerted the family. Philip Haase, who was shaving at the time, stepped outside and saw flames in the attic area. The family was able to secure some of their belongings before fleeing to safety. The house, which dated back to the 1890s, was in the same family for 85 years and was vacated in the mid 1990s. Original wiring is believed to have still been in use and may have contributed to the fire. Monett firefighters received the call at 8:37 a.m. for mutual aid. The house was fully engulfed by the time they arrived.