Berean Christian adds 5 to faculty
Student enrollment anticipated to grow by a 1/3 at opening
Classes start Monday for the 11th year at the Berean Christian Academy, east of Monett. Five new teachers and several new programs will bolster the program in the new school year.
New teachers include:
* Phylis Immekus, who will teacher high school grammar and dual-credit English classes through Crowder College. Immekus last worked as an elementary teacher in the Sullivan School District.
* Jennifer Frazier, who will teach high school history. Frazier is a recent graduate of Southwest Baptist University and this is her first teaching job.
* Dawn Real, who will teach fifth and sixth grade. Real previously taught at the Emmanuel Christian School in Wabash, Ind.
* Debbie Presson, a part-time teacher in psychology, a new course offering, which will be offered as a new dual credit class through Crowder College. Presson works as a licensed high school counselor in the Springfield School District.
* Mike Hall will teach shop class, a new course offering. Hall is a volunteer and works in the private sector.
Other new classes will include desktop applications, math technology, creative writing and drama/speech.
According to Jamie Witherell, administrative assistant who joined the staff last year, Berean expects to open classes with 80 students, up from 60 a year ago. Roger Duffel, administrator and principal, said the new pre-kindergarten class will add around eight students to that tally.
Berean offers classes through high school. Anyone seeking additional information may call the school at 236-9088 or Duffel at 479-841-4028.