Local delegates selected for Boys State
Delegates from Monett High School and other bi-county high schools will head to Warrensburg this week for the 74th annual Boys State.
Hosting by the Missouri American Legion, Boys State is a model government program. Delegates will form governments on the city, county and state levels, choosing leaders, filling roles such as police and judges, state representatives and a state government. Leaders from the private and public sectors will speak to provide insight into the operations of leadership and public service.
The session will be held from June 15 through June 22. Participants have completed their junior year so that the experience can boost their leadership skills during their senior year in high school.
Each boy who actively participates will earn college credit hours, have access to over $2 million in scholarships made available only to boys who attend the program.
Delegates from Monett include: Mitchel Carlin, representing Industrial Machine and Engineering Company (IMEC); Jeremy Scott and Joshua Dunn, Freistatt Lions Club; Jorgue Martinez, Monett Lions Club; Aaron Morley and Alex Schmitt, Jack Henry and Associates; Thomas Younker, Bennett-Wormington and Buchanan funeral homes; Matt Bowsher, Hobbs-Anderson American Legion Post #91; Jeremy Horton, Freistatt Lions Club; and Ronnie Hearn, from East Newton High School, Neosho Rotary Club.
Other Lawrence County delegates and their sponsors are:
* Aurora High School: Kage Etherton, sponsored by Joe Snodgrass; and Caleb Hitsman, Aurora America Legion Post #126.
* Marionville High School: David Burley, Animal Clinic of Monett; Samuel Maples, Marionville Lions Club.
* Mt. Vernon High School: Joshua Dunn, Freistatt Lions Club.
* Miller High School: Colton Pettyjohn, Miller American Legion Post #120.
Other Barry County delegates and their sponsors are:
* Purdy High School: Kyle Davidson, Monett Kiwanis Club; Ruben Ibarra, Architectural Systems Inc.
* Cassville High School: Bradley Lueckenhoff, Kayleb Sparks, Marcus Weatherman, all of Cassville, and Joseph Paddock, of Shell Knob, all Cassville American Legion Post #118.
* Exeter High School: James Kho, of Cassville, and Colten Stringer, of Washburn, both Cassville American Legion Post #118.