LawCo Extension Council election slated
Election of the University of Missouri Extension Council for 2013 in Lawrence County will be held Jan. 22 through Jan. 25. Voting will take place at the Extension Center, in the basement of the historic Lawrence Coutny Courthouse in Mt. Vernon. Voting hours will be from 8 a.m. to noon and from 1 to 4:30 p.m.
The positions for this election are all uncontested. Candidates include:
* Jack Gilliam, LaRussell and Jennifer Kingsley, of Miller, for District #1 (Red Oak, Green, Lincoln and Ozark townships);
* Nate Everts, LaRussell and Carol Durbin, Pierce City for District #2 (Vineyard, Mt. Pleasant and Pierce townships);
* Aletha Smialek, of Mt. Vernon, for District #3 (Mt. Vernon and Turnback townships);
* Shelly L. Brown, Aurora and Bobby Garoutte, of Aurora, for District #4 (Buck Prairie and Aurora townships);
* Miandra Schoen, Monett and Karl Wilke, of Mt. Vernon, for District #5 (Spring River, Freistatt and Hoberg townships).
The council is composed of 20 elected members, two men and two women from each of the five districts. The council, which also includes four appointees, guide the University of Missouri Extension program effort in Lawrence County.
The outgoing council, new council and several invited guests will meet at 6:30 p.m. on Feb. 4 for the annual organizational meeting at the University's Southwest Center in Mt. Vernon.
University extension faculty and staff headquartered in Lawrence county include: Karla Deaver, 4-H youth specialist; Heather Halterman, nutrition program associate; Eldon Cole, livestock specialist; and Janet Adams, secretary. Additionally, faculty from other counties in the southwest Missouri region are available to answer questions and conduct programs in the county.
For more information, call 417-466-3102 or www.extension.missouri.edu/lawrence