Sales tax disbursements in December, 2012 closed the year on a generally disappointing note. Only three of 13 bi-county cities topped last December's receipts, and only three cities for the year surpassed totals received in 2011.
Monett's two sales taxes for the general fund generated $154,429.39, a drop of $42,247.40 or 21 percent from last December. It was the fourth time in the last six months that Monett's receipts have fallen. It was the second highest December payment since 2007, before the economic downturn.
Monett's nine-month fiscal year total was $1,322,562.99, the second highest total in the last four years and down 6 percent from last year's pace.
Pierce City was one of the few towns showing gains over December 2011. The city's old seven-eighths of a cent sales tax for the general fund had its second best December on record, topped only by 2007. The current two taxes generated $10,923.01 for the month, up $604.74 from a year ago.
Pierce City's eight-month general fund fiscal year total for the general fund is 4 percent below last year's pace.
Purdy's sales taxes were almost even with last December. The total of the three taxes combined was down by less than $50. The one-cent sales tax brought in $5,334.99, the second best showing since 2001, but well short of the December record of over $6,000 dating back to 1993.
Purdy's general fund receipts have been down in four of the last six months. Halfway through the current fiscal year, the total is down 9 percent from last year's pace.
Verona experienced a 43 percent dip from last December. The city's one-cent sales tax for general bills yielded $2,051.89, down $1,557.09 from last December.
Verona's sales tax receipts have been down in four of the past six months. The nine-month fiscal year total of $19,008.70 is down 26 percent from last year and is at its lowest point since 2005.
Sales tax coming into the bi-county area in December, not counting the Barry County 911 taxes, totaled $1,538,229.23, down 10 percent from 2011 but up almost 4 percent from 2010.
The six Lawrence County cities collecting sales taxes generated $380,133.89, down 5 percent from a year ago. Pierce City, Miller and Marionville topped the totals from December 2011.
The seven Barry County cities with sales taxes produced $466,377.66, down 16 percent from a year ago. Only Exeter had a better total than last December.
Lawrence County's three county-wide taxes yielded about $1,000 less than a year ago, each producing about $121,000 in December. The half-cent tax for general expenses produced $1,238,001.53 for 2012, a little more than $18,000 or 1 percent less than in 2011. Lawrence County's three taxes generated $3,635,784.60 in 2012.
Receipts from Barry County's two half-cent sales taxes each dropped by nearly $30,000 in December, down by 20 percent but still better than 2010. The two taxes produced a total of $3,514,362.80 in 2012.
Barry County's two taxes paying for 911 services generated $81,769.23 in December, up a little over $1,400 from a year ago, when one tax was collected. For 2012, the 911 taxes produced $974,419.95, with four months of two taxes. The total was up almost $81,000 from 2011.
2012 general fund sales tax totals for Barry and Lawrence county cities
* Aurora $1,012,651.70 (one of three taxes, total collected $2,025,688.31) -4 percent from 2011; use tax $90,357.97, +7 percent.
* Exeter $20,221.61, -4 percent from 2011.
* Marionville $149,563.30 (one of five taxes, total collected $373,900.50), +13 percent from 2011.
* Miller $73,164.96 (from two of four taxes, total collected $105,579.74) +13 percent from 2011.
* Monett $1,725,572.29 (from two of four taxes, total collected $2,958,279.57), -4 percent from 2011; community improvement district tax (expired in June after four years) $32,135.42.
* Mt. Vernon $539,674.72 (one of three taxes, total collected $1,077,645.73) almost even with 2011, up $401.14; a sunsetted capital improvements tax generated $1,631.20 from unpaid collections received through the year.
* Pierce City $100,454.38 (two of six sales taxes, total collected $208,675.75) almost even with 2011, down $159.05.
* Purdy $58,503.72 (one of three taxes, total collected $117,003.24) -2 percent from 2011; a sunsetted general fund tax generated $88.53 from unpaid collections received through the year.
* Seligman $88,935 (one of four taxes, total collected $200,043.08) -2 percent from 2011.
* Verona $25,481.50 (one of three taxes, total collected $50,966.63), -18 percent from 2011.
* Washburn $24,032.27 (one of three taxes, total collected $48,063.90) -4 percent from 2011.
* Wheaton $58,363.46, -12 percent from 2011.