[Monett Times] Fog/Mist ~ 36°F  
Dense Fog Advisory
Friday, Dec. 19, 2014

Candle blamed for smoke damage

Thursday, December 20, 2012

(Photo)
Firefighters carry hose inside the house as smoke can be seen coming through the roof of the home in the Lakewood Terrace subdivision. [Times Photo by Murray Bishoff] [Order this photo]
With crews from the Barry-Lawrence Ambulance District and the City of Monett's Electric Department standing by, Monett firefighters knocked down a blaze at 804 Lometa Court in the Lakewood Terrace subdivision on Tuesday.

According the Captain Dwayne Irwin, around 3:30 p.m. an unattended candle ignited the contents of a bookcase and traveled up a wall, causing significant smoke damage.

The owner slowed the blaze with a fire extinguisher and firefighter finished the job. Ventilation fans from the fire trucks helped air out the building.

Firemen were on scene for about one hour.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account on this site, enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.

© 2014 Monett Times, a division of Rust Publishing MOARCASS, L.L.C. All rights reserved.