"Aurora is still a good football team," said Monett coach Chad Depée. "Their record is deceiving. Our boys have lined up and played against these kids for years. We know it is going to be a battle."
The Cubs earned a 21-0 victory over the Houn' Dawgs on Sept. 21.
The Cubs defense exerted itself in the long-time rivals first meeting.
Aurora quarterback Clayton Sumners and running back Everett Basham, who have combined for over 1,200 yards rushing on the season, were held to 25 total yards rushing in the game.
Aurora has thrown the ball more this year than what coach Rick Scholten has wanted.
Sumners put the ball in the air 152 times this season, completing 83 of those attempts for 965 yards, three touchdowns and seven interceptions.
Monett's signal caller Kyle Woods has only attempted 87 passes with 42 completions for 813 yards with seven touchdowns and seven interceptions.
On the ground, running back Aaron Hall eclipsed the 1,000-yard rushing mark for the third consecutive season.
Hall, gained 1,066 yards on 234 carries and scored nine touchdowns and is averaging 5.5 yards per carry.
Basham is averaging 5.4 yards per carry and scored 13 touchdowns.
Aurora keys to the game
* Move the ball. Aurora struggled to gain positive movement against the Cubs' defense.
* Control the line. Monett began to run downhill at the Houn' Dawgs in the second half. Aurora received a steady diet of Hall runs. They want to shut him down.
* Turn off the turnover faucet. Aurora has turned the ball over 13 times this season. They cannot afford to give the Cubs a short field.
Monett keys to the game
* Be yourself. The Cubs have developed into one of the best defenses in the Big 8. They have given opposing offenses fits and have remained a solid unit all-season.
* Use the 100, 50 and nine formula. In Monett's six victories, a consistent offensive mix has occurred. I have termed this mix the "100, 50 and nine formula." When Hall rushes for 100 yards, Woods passes for 50 yards and Kurran Blamey gets nine touches of the ball during the game, Monett prevails.
* Set the tone. Monett needs to take control of the game early. They can't afford to let Aurora hang around and remain in the contest.
Kickoff tonight is set for 7 p.m.