The East Newton Patriots Invitational cross-country meet was contested Saturday, Sept. 22 in Granby.
A huge throng of runners, coaches and fans descended on the campus of East Newton High School to watch some of the best runners in the state compete in the various divisions.
The East Newton meet is one of few that awards team trophies in the middle school races, and the younger runners turned out in droves for a chance to compete for the team hardware.
Lamar dominated the varsity boys' team race, winning handily with 52 points.
Republic's Ryan Way, won a duel with Crane's Thomas Chabracek to take the individual gold medal in 15:39.14.
Winnetonka took the trophy in the varsity girls division, scoring 79.
Sayra Villela, of Springfield Parkview, was the individual champion, running 19:04.28.
Victor Encarnacion of Webb City won the JV boys race in 18:36.15.
Webb City won the middle school boys team title with a string score of 36. Ben Daniels, of Nixa, turned in a time of 8:14.03 for first place.
East Newton's Kinsey Sorrell took the middle school girls race in 9:32.00. Nixa won the team title with a score of 56.
Varsity boys 5K
In the varsity boys' division Lamar finished first. Monett recorded a 10th place finish with 274 points. Southwest raced to a 16th place finish with 370 points and Cassville was 17the with 395 points.
Local results are as follows.
* Michael Morley, 28th, 17:35.49.
* Jonah Ragsdale, 40th, 18:04.78.
* Erwin Perez, 51st 18:28.03.
* Dalton Paynter, 80th, 19:09.64.
* Conor Launis, 87th, 19:15.94.
* Jon Schliem, 90th, 19:19.75.
* Josh Brown, 99th, 19:44.88.
* Andrew McCormick, 96th, 19:34.57.
* Devan Keeler, 116th, 21:47.47.
Varsity girls 5K
Winnetonka won the varsity girls divison of the East Newton cross-country meet scoring 79 points. No area high schools had enough participants to qualify for a team score.
* Madeleine Weber, 16th, 21:24.35.
* Grace Cloud, 22nd, 21:45.38.
* Birdanna Salas, 28th, 22:20.72.
* Carmen Renteria, 77th, 25:53.44.
JV boys 5K
* Austin Ross, 25th, 20:52.20.
* Chris Smith, 26th, 21:04.59.
* Ben Morris, 36th, 21:57.53.
* Keanu Reed, 53rd, 22:56.56.
Junior High boys 2.4K
* Kaden Propps, 52nd, 9:42.96.
* Austin Trent, 58th, 9:51.18.
* Trent Bolinger, 85th, 10:21.98.
* Kole Rea, 95th, 10:29.16.
* Trenton Pettit, 105th, 10:36.69.
Junior High girls 2.4K
* Megan Thomas, 14th, 10:15.33.
* Layne Skiles, 58th, 11:08.02.
* Cailyn Spears, 63rd, 11:16.29.
* Savannah Burch, 67th, 11:21.86.
* Mary Schad, 78th, 11:36.55.
* Morgan Schilly, 87th, 11:57.88.
On Sept. 18 Nixa High School hosted its annual Eagles Invitational.
Nixa placed five runners in the top 17 spots and won the large school boys' division.
The Eagles topped the field of 14 complete teams with a score of 63 points. Monett was ninth with 268, and Cassville placed 12th with 300.
Parkview's Cameron Byrley continued his stellar season, taking the individual championship with a 16:05.1 performance over the traditional course at the Inman Middle School campus.
The Ozark girls placed their scoring pack in the 8 to 23 range to capture the large school girls division, edging Branson 59-65. Brigette Caruthers of the Lady Pirates was the individual winner, running 18:39.24. The Monett girls placed ninth, scoring 210.
In the small school boys' division, the Lamar Tigers saw their top five contingent all place in the top 10 as they won the team race with 29 points. Sparta took second with 71, Southwest was eighth with 215, and Wheaton finished 10th with 268.
Crane's Thomas Chabracek won with a 16:25.39 effort.
The Springfield Catholic girls rolled to a victory in the small school girls' competition. The Lady Irish scored 22 points to win. Only two other schools, Lamar and College Heights, fielded complete teams.
After taking first place at the Monett Invitational, Catholic's Kelly Devlin also won at Nixa with a time of 19:36 flat.
Area Finishers, large school boys
* Michael Morley, 33rd, 17:51.68.
* Jonah Ragsdale, 42nd, 18:19.40.
* Erwin Perez, 59th, 18:57.32.
* Aaron Morley, 72nd, 19:31.96.
* Dalton Paynter, 74th, 19:37.84.
* Conor Launis, 78th, 19:44.44.
* Jon Schleim, 82nd, 19:59.20.
Area Finishers, large school girls
* Madeleine Weber, 25th, 21:51.92.
* Grace Cloud, 37th, 22:48.30.
* Birdanna Salas, 47th, 23:18.05.
* Carmen Renteria, 64th, 26:14.67.
* Madeline Petersen, 68th, 26:27.04.
Area Finishers, small school boys
* Andrew McCormick, 55th, 20:26.33.
The Monett cross-country team will be in action on Oct. 2 at Springfield Catholic.