Monett R-1 Board reorganizes after election
The Monett R-1Board of Education reorganized on Wednesday and elected Marty Scabarozi as the new board president.
Scabarozi is in the third year of her second term on the board. Dr. J.D. Roberts, who has served as board president for the past two years, indicated he did not was to run again for the leadership position.
Roberts received a plaque from Superintendent Dr. John Jungmann for his years of service as board president.
Newly elected board member A.J. Bahl and Roberts, the only candidates who filed for the April 3 election, took the oath of office from Patty Leach, board secretary.
Mark Coatney left the board after two terms and did not seek re-election. Roberts presented Coatney with a plaque in recognition of his service.
Board members voted to retain Leach as the board secretary and Linda Lines as the board treasurer.
Two resignation were accepted. Linda Lauderdale submitted her letter of retirement, leaving the district after 24 years as school nurse. Jungmann said board members will decide by the next meeting on April 19 whether to fill the position from within or seek outside applications.
A letter of resignation was accepted from Sarah Edwards, who has taught at Central Park Elementary.
Seven new teachers were hired:
* Philip Soule was tapped to be the new head band director. Soule has seven years of teaching experience, previously serving as assistant director in Joplin and Warrensburg.
* Kellen Hoover was hired to teach physical education at Central Park Elementary and Monett Intermediate. Jungmann said Hoover will serve as assistant varsity football coach and likely have additional coaching assignments. Hoover is a recent graduate of Missouri Southern State University and did his student teaching in Monett last fall.
* Baylee Lane was hired as the new family and consumer science teacher at the middle school and high school. Lane is a recent graduate of Missouri State University who did her student teaching at Logan-Rogersville High School and Kickapoo High School.
* Allison Gammon was hired as a special education teacher at the middle school. Gammon taught in the Sparta School District the past two years.
* Terri Buchanan was hired to teach at Monett Elementary. She is a new graduate from Missouri State University.
* Rebekah Crawford was hired to teach at Central Park Elementary. She is a new graduate from Missouri Southern State University.
* Chris Lee, who worked for the district during the second semester of the current school year, was hired back for the coming year as a teacher at Monett Elementary.