100 YEARS AGO
March 15, 1912
* Warren Beatty bought out the interest of his partner, L.J. Balden, in the Beaty and Balden meat market.
EIGHTY YEARS AGO
March 15, 1932
* Simon Baumgartner, prominent Pierce City farmer, told the Monett Kiwanis Club, "I landed here 50 years ago with $1.50 and I still have just about my original capital left. I worked for 35 cents a day then. Union labor now works eight hours and so do I----eight hours before dinner and eight hours after dinner."
* J.W.C. Anderson, truck crop specialist of the Missouri College of Agriculture, will be in Monett on March 19 to speak to those interested in home gardens.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
March 15, 1942
* Twenty-eight Monett retail and wholesale firms are starting a series of advertisements designed to impress upon people in this trading area the importance of tire conservation. Their theme is your tires will wear longer if you trade with your hometown merchants.
* The Monett Cubs dropped their semi-final game with to Beaumont 51-35 at the state basketball tournament, sending them back to the third place game, where they finished last year.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
March 15, 1952
* Total pledges for the St. Vincent's Hospital fund campaign have reached $90,012.69 toward the goal of $100,000 by April 1.
* A large crowd turned out for the Barry County cancer fundraising drive meeting at Hatcher's cafe.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
March 15, 1962
* Mrs. Bud Mercer Jr. has been named home nursing chairman of North Barry County for the program to be initiated here by the Barry County Red Cross chapter.
* Eighteen presidents of clubs in the Monett area will meet at the Monett Chamber of Commerce "to weld the thinking of all civic groups in Monett towards major projects."
FORTY YEARS AGO
March 15, 1972
* The University of Missouri-Kansas City percussion ensemble performed at an assembly for Monett junior high and high school students.
* Named Monett High School Student Body officers are Mark Long, president; Robert Banks, vice president; and Stephanie Dawson, secretary-treasurer.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
March 15, 1982
* Eleven students at the Monett Vocational-Technical School took first and second place awards at the annual Vocational-Industrial Clubs of America (VICA) Skill and Leadership Conference held at Missouri Southern State College in Joplin.
* Revival services will be held at First Christian Church in Monett featuring Rev. Faust Matthews, well known evangelist who has most recently served at the Selmore Christian Church, south of Springfield.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
March 15, 1992
* A $9.2 million general fund budget for the City of Monett will be considered for adoption by the Monett City Council, down from $9.4 million a year ago.
* The Monett Theatrical Arts Guild has announced auditions to perform "Beauty and the Beast."
TEN YEARS AGO
March 15, 2002
* The largest expense planned in the new budget for the City of Monett is the $700,000 hook-up of fiber optics within the city.
* Several vocalists will join bands for the Spirit of America fundraising event for Monett's Fourth of July celebration.