Chief Tom Jones said the fire was electrical in nature, possibly caused by a florescent light falling onto foam insulation, which ignited. Firefighters arrived to find smoke coming from the plant roof. Jones said firemen accessed the blaze from doors on the north side of the building after stringing 700 feet of five-inch hose from a hydrant near the National Guard Armory.
"One of the biggest tools we used was our infrared camera. It really came in handy," Jones said. Firemen were called at 3:24 p.m. and returned to duty about three hours later.
Jones said most of the time was spent making sure the fire was extinguished and venting toxic fumes from the burned insulation.
Tyson lost one machine in the fire but no chickens, Jones said.