The Greater Ozarks Area Chapter of the Muscular Dystrophy Association raised a record amount at the annual Jail and Bail fundraiser held in Monett on Feb. 1.
"We are truly grateful to the people of Barry County and the surrounding area for their support of the MDA," said Jerry Bear, MDA executive director for the Greater Ozarks Chapter. "This was a great year with 61 jailbirds raising over $16,528."
Volunteers agreed to call friends for an hour to raise funds to fight neur-muscular diseases. Ten of the volunteers met their $500 bail target. They were:
* Kirk and Teresa Verhoff, $1,008.
* Darin S. Miller, B&B Theatres, $671.
* Tomas Saaf, Lowry & Association, LLC, $598.
* Colista K Wormington, Tyson Foods Hatchery, $570.
* Jason George, Barry County Firehouse Gang, $568.
* Heather Allen, Cargill, $555.
* Devin Fisher, Grasslands Consultants, $543.
* James Patton, U.S. Bank, $515.
* Karen Ellison, Huffmaster Insurance, $510.
* Jennifer Nickell, Coldwell Banker Show-Me Properties, $500.
Grant's restaurant again provided a home base for the lock-up. Bear said the event will be recognized during the Labor Day weekend telethon for MDA.
The Greater Ozarks Area Chapter of MDA benefits over 750 families in the Ozarks affected by one of the 43 neuromuscular diseases covered under the association's programs. All MDA's services are provided free of charge.