The Monett wrestling Cubs took seventh place in the 16-team field at the Branson wrestling tournament on Saturday.
"We had a good week of wrestling, beating Carl Junction and Nixa and placing in the top half of the Branson tournament," said Monett coach Daryl Bradley. "I feel that we have a good idea where we are at this point of the season. We need to continue to improve on our position and mat awareness. We have a big dual coming up with Seneca, and we will need to wrestle at a high level to compete with them."
Neosho claimed the team gold medal at Branson with 265 points. Nixa finished second, scoring 174, and Seneca was third, recording 163.5 points.
Individual placings for Monett wrestlers were as follows:
* 106 pounds: Chase Brennan, second place.
* 113 pounds: Levi Neely, seventh place.
* 120 pounds: Kedrick Brink, sixth place.
* 132 pounds: Dominick Witherow, seventh place.
* 138 pounds: Cristobal Renteria, first place.
* 145 pounds: Carter Huffmaster, sixth place.
* 152 pounds: James Ross, did not place.
* 160 pounds: Devon Overall, third place.
* 170 pounds: Matt Wentz. did not place.
The Monett JV wrestled in a tournament in Nevada. No team scores were kept, but the Cubs fared very well individually.
Taking home first place honors for the Cubs were: Tyler Liggett, Brice Watson and Kyle Forbes.
Finishing in second place were: Corry Skipper, Keanu Reed, Jaron Beason, Wyatt Rook and Wesley Abramovitz.
Earning a third place finish was George Fulton.
Wrestling but not placing for the Cubs were: Jason Kurima, Michael Renfro, Ben Morris, German Garcia, Jordan Hall and Jacob Negre.
Monett will be in action on Thursday hosting Seneca. Matches are set to begin at 6 p.m.