On Saturday, Monett High School hosted 12 schools in the 40th annual Monett Wrestling Tournament.
Southmoore High School (Okla.) won the tournament, scoring 124.5 points. Willard finished second with 112 points, and Harrisonville was third with 84. Monett took seventh with 61.5.
"We host a tough wrestling tournament with many state qualifiers, placers and champions," said Monett wrestling coach Daryl Bradley. "This year's competition was as good as I have seen since I have been here. I was pleased with the way we competed. I can't say enough about Chris Renteria. He is relentless and is a fierce competitor that wants to dominate his competition."
Results for Monett wrestlers are as follows:
* 106 pounds B: George Fulton, sixth.
* 113 pounds B: Levi Neeley, first.
* 126 pounds: B: Bryan Beckwith, fifth.
* 132 pounds B: Jaron Beason, third.
* 138 pounds A: Chris Renteria, first.
* 138 pounds B: Ben Morris, fifth.
* 145 pounds A: Carter Huffmaster, fifth. "It was great to get Carter back in the lineup after knee surgery," said Bradley. "He had a tough bracket and showed lots of grit and toughness beating the kid that won the tournament."
* 152 pounds B: James Ross, second; and Kyle Forbes, sixth.
* 160 pounds A: Devon Overall, second.
* 170 pounds B: Jacob Negre, fifth.
* 182 pounds B: Matt Wentz, second.
On Thursday, the Cubs lost a triangular dual with Republic and McDonald County.
Monett fell 57-21 to the Tigers to open the evening.
"I felt that we competed well at times; we just didn't wrestle hard for the entire minutes," said Bradley. "Several of our kids hadn't wrestled since Dec. 10 and it showed. McDonald County and Republic have good teams with older experienced kids, and they wrestled well. We just need to continue to improve. I believe we will."
Monett results against Republic are as follows, with Monett listed first:
* 132 pounds: Bryan Beckwith lost by pin to Padin Lucero in 5:43.
* 138 pounds: Chris Renteria won by a technical fall over Kyle Campbell, 22-7.
* 145 pounds: James Ross lost by pin to Dustin Eby in 5:58.
* 152 pounds: Carter Huffmaster won by pin over Nick Gideon in 2:45.
* 160 pounds: Devon Overall won by forfeit.
* 170 pounds: Jacob Negre lost by major decision to Jacob Dickens, 4-9.
* 182 pounds: Matt Wentz lost by pin to Jake Lasswell in 2:34.
* 106 pounds: George Fulton lost by fall to Justin Rogers in 1:30.
* 113 pounds: Chase Brennan won by a major decision over Tanner Willis, 14-3.
* 120 pounds: Levi Neely lost by pin to Bryce Osburn in 3:59.
* 126 pounds: Brice Watson lost by pin to Cody Sandridge in 1:52.
Monett fell 49-30 to McDonald County. Monett results against the Mustangs are as follows, with Monett listed first:
* 145 pounds: James Ross lost by pin to Cody Priebe in 3:38.
* 152 pounds: Carter Huffmaster won by pin to Jovan Gonzalez in 1:55.
* 160 pounds: Devon Overall won by pin over Terry Woolwine in 3:11.
* 170 pounds: Jacob Negre lost by pin to Justin Resz in 1:25.
* 182 pounds: Matt Wentz won by forfeit.
* 106 pounds: George Fulton lost by decision to David Nicholson, 8-4.
* 113 pounds: Chase Brennan won by pin over Landon Foreman in 1:48.
* 120 pounds: Levi Neeley lost by pin to Josh Chewy in 2:42.
* 126 pounds: Brice Watson lost by pin to Dylan Pendergraft in 1:17.
* 132 pounds: Bryan Beckwith lost by major decision to Jacob Dalton, 1-9.
* 138 pounds: Chris Renteria won by pin over Cameron LeGrand in 4:39.
Monett JV results against Republic are as follows, with Monett listed first:
* 152 pounds: Wesley Abramovitz won by technical fall over George Wright, 18-2.
* 120 pounds: Tyler Liggett lost by technical fall to Kyle Powell, 15-0.
* 126 pounds: Jason Kurima lost by pin to James Walters in 1:34.
* 132 pounds: Jaron Beason won by pin over Bailey Woodman 3:23.
* 145 pounds: Kyle Forbes won by pin over Dallas Ross in 5:03.
* 160 pounds: Herman Garcia won by decision over Zack Crowley, 9-7.
* 160 pounds: Jordan Hall won by pin over Jordan Wright in 2:34.
Monett JV results against McDonald County are as follows, with Monett listed first:
* 138 pounds: Michael Renfro won by decision over Danny Woodring, 16-14.
* 120 pounds: Kedrick Brink won by pin over Keaton Weber in 2:45.
* 120 pounds: Corry Skipper lost by pin to Jonathan Dicks in 4:35.
* 138 pounds: Keanu Reed won by pin over Seth McKinney in 1:24.
* 138 pounds: Dominick Witherow won by decision over Christopher Dalton, 10-3.
* 145 pounds: Wyatt Rook won by pin over Nathan Araujo in 45 seconds.
* 138 pounds: Ben Morris won by decision over Danny Woodring, 11-9.
Monett continues action on the mat Thursday hosting carl Junction and Nixa. Matches are slated to begin at 6 p.m.