[Monett Times] Fair ~ 43°F  
High: 71°F ~ Low: 55°F
Thursday, May 5, 2016

Lockwood too much for Pierce City Eagles

Monday, October 10, 2011

Looking for a target. Pierce City quarterback Cedric O'Hara throws a pass during Friday night's football game against Lockwood. [Photo by Traci Osborn]
The Pierce City Eagles were only able to prevent the Lockwood Tigers from converting a single extra point in a 48-28 loss Friday night.

The Eagles couldn't seem to make the defensive adjustments to stop the Lockwood read-option attack.

"We knew Lockwood was a good football team," Head Coach Mac Whitehead said. "Coach Lassiter has done a great job up here."

Plowing ahead. Curtis Palmer, senior running back for Pierce City, finds room to maneuver during Friday night's loss at Lockwood. [Photo by Traci Osborn]
Pierce City won the coin toss and elected to defer to the second half. After short gains on their first possession, the Tigers were forced to punt. The Eagles took over on their own 45-yard line.

After a short gain by fullback Curtis Palmer, who had 111 all-purpose yards on the night, and a short gain on an option play by quarterback Cedric O'Hara, who threw for 204 yards, the next play struck pay dirt. Halfback Wayne Joe Sooter took the hand-off on a counter play that went 45-yards for the touchdown. The PAT was good, and the Eagles led 7-0.

The Tigers moved the ball well on their next possession, but the drive was brought to a halt when Sooter intercepted a Tiger pass on the Eagle 16-yard line.

Pierce City was unable to move the ball and was forced to punt after three downs.

Lockwood moved quickly and connected on a 42-yard pass over the middle to the Eagle five5-yard line. Three plays later they scored on a seven-yard option play. The PAT was no good, and Pierce City led 7-6.

Lockwood attempted an on-side kick and Pierce City recovered on its own 49. After short gains on the ground, O'Hara and Palmer hooked up for a 37-yard strike on the outside for a touchdown. The PAT was good, and the Eagles were ahead 14-6.
The Tigers marched the ball down the field for big gains on the ground of 21 and 26 yards and scored from one-yard out on an option read. The two-point conversion try was no good and the score stood 14-12 in Pierce City's favor. It was the last time the Eagles would lead in the game.

The Eagles' next drive resulted in a punt.

After Lockwood took possession the Tigers gashed the Eagle defense for runs of 15, 20 and 28 yards for a touchdown. The two-point conversion failed and the Tigers were up 18-14.

Pierce City's next drive failed to advance the ball, facing fourth and long. The Eagles attempted a punt, but the snap sailed over O'Hara's head and the Tigers recovered for a touchdown. The two-point attempt was no good, and Lockwood went into the halftime locker room up 24-14.

Pierce City was unable to move the ball on its first two drives of the second half.Lockwood took advantage of the Eagles' offensive lull and marched down the field on the ground and scored on a one-yard fade route. The extra point attempt failed and Lockwood led 30-14
Pierce City turned the ball over on its next drive, and the Tigers pounched again. Mounting a great rushing attack, Lockwood scored on a two-yard dive play, and the score was 36-14.

The next Eagles' possession saw them move the ball effectively, but a personal foul stalled the drive and Pierce City turned the ball over on downs.

Aided by another Eagles' personal foul and a pass interference call, the Tigers scored from three-yards out and went ahead 42-14.

Pierce City showed a spark of life on its next possession when O'Hara connected with Caleb Laswell on a deep post for 55 yards and two plays later for an 11-yard fade for a touchdown. The two-point conversion was good, and the score was 42-22.

"I saw that the safety had rolled up and Caleb had beaten his man," O'Hara said. "It was just a matter of getting him the ball."

Lockwood scored again on their next drive on a 10-yard run to lead 48-22.

With 4:42 to go in the game, Pierce City struck again through the air on a 49-yard pass to Sooter. The two-point conversion was no good, and providing the final score of 48-28.

"I thought everyone played hard," Whitehead said. "You are always disappointed about giving up any points, but we knew we would have to play a perfect game to win."

The Eagles were without starting tackle Ryan Turner, out for the season with a shoulder injury.

"We're playing a lot of young players," said Whitehead. "You can get away with playing young players in the backfield but you need those older players down in the trenches."

Pierce City hosts Miller next Friday. The game is scheduled for 7 p.m.

"This is the part of the season that is most important," said Whitehead. "Everyone in the state is 0-0 after tonight. If we win two of the next three we are in the playoffs. We've just got to put the best 11 players out on the field that work together as a team."

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration:

© 2016 Monett Times, a division of Rust Publishing MOARCASS, L.L.C. All rights reserved.