City Administrator Dennis Pyle reported that the course experienced another turf loss on the greens similar to what happened in 2011. As a result, approximately half the holes on the course were closed for about three weeks in September.
According to golfers, overwatering of the greens during the summer heat contributed to the grass loss. Pyle said it appears the new grass did not get well enough established to make it through another difficult season.
All the holes at the course have now been reopened and are playable.
Council members contacted Mike Vogt, a certified golf course superintendent and national golf consultant from the St. Louis area. Vogt visited Monett on Sept. 15 and inspected the course. He discussed operations with Mike Knight, director of golf, and Dave Gillaspy, the greenskeeper. A work session to discuss the course was held last Friday by council members.
For their Oct. 20 meeting, council members will discuss a $7,100 contract with Vogt for assistance at the Monett course that will run through August 2012.
The contract calls for paying Vogt for mileage, meals and project expenses. He would focus on five major areas:
* Identifying and limiting issues pertaining to the overall health and survival of turn surfaces on the course and practice greens.
* Identifying solutions to agronomic problems associated with and causing unsatisfactory turn conditions.
* Coordinating materials, contractors, remedies and education efforts with the course superintendent and manager to enhance the opportunity for continued use of best management practices for management and maintenance.
* Conducting periodic site reviews of the course superintendent's progress on overall improvements in greens maintenance.
* Site reviews will be made in October and November of 2011; and in March, April, May, June, July and August of 2012. Additional site visits could be arranged at a cost of $1,285 per visit.
The contract states that while Vogt is associated with the McMahon Group Inc., the city is solely contracting with Vogt for services.