Relay for Life of Monett raised over $68,000 for the American Cancer Society with money still coming in from the 18 teams that participated. Organizers hope to reach their goal of $83,500 when all donations are received and tallied.
"Overall, we are very happy with the evening," said Jennifer Cendroski, who served as co-chair of the local Relay along with Betty Messer. "The weather held off, and we had a great turnout."
The event was held at the Burl Fowler football stadium for the first time in a number of years. Campsites lined the field, and participants walked laps around the track all night.
At the Relay, several awards were given out, and winners are highlighted below.
* Best Campsite: Monett Elementary School.
* Most Laps by an Individual: Andy Hubbert.
* Most Laps by a Team: Monett Elementary School.
* Most Funds Raised by an Individual: Michelle Crim.
* Most Funds Raised by a Friends and Family Team: Inspired By Isaac.
* Most Funds Raised by a Corporate Team: Tyson.
* Paint the Town Purple Award: EFCO.
* Online Challenge: Karen Smith, EFCO.
* Platinum Sponsor: EFCO.
* National Team Sponsor: Tyson.
* Spirit of Relay Award: The Monett Times.
* Gordy Klatt Award: Tiffany Tallent.
"We had a great turnout and want to thank not only those businesses and volunteers that helped make the event a success by donating both financially and of their time, but also the survivors for taking their victory lap and reminding us all what our community is fighting for with our participation in Relay for Life," said Cendroski.
More photos from this year's Relay for Life of Monett are published on page 10 of today's newspaper.