NINETY YEARS AGO
Jan. 12, 1921
* Chief of Police Joe A. Jackson went to Carthage today to apprehend a man who is suspected of being implicated in the Seligman bank robbery.
EIGHTY YEARS AGO
Jan. 12, 1931
* The summer's training camp for the 203rd Coast Artillery Headquarters Battery, of Monett, will be at Camp Sheridan, Illinois.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
Jan. 12, 1941
* Twenty-three pilots and 14 planes landed at the Monett Airport yesterday to give Monettans their first taste of mass and stunt flying. The pilots were the guests of the local Jaycees at a breakfast served at the Brown Gables.
* Marion Pilant left Sunday for Camp Hulen after a week at home, called by the death of his sister.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
Jan. 12, 1951
* The Brotherhood Of Railway Clerks hosted a fried chicken dinner Wednesday evening at Hatcher's. Edwin M. Jerome, president, officiated as toastmaster.
* Roberto De La Rosa, a member of the Mexican government's consulate at St. Louis, will give two addresses in Monett on Jan. 30.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
Jan. 12, 1961
* Annual meeting of the Gillioz Bank and Trust Company was hold Tuesdays with officers being re-elected. M.E. Gillioz is the bank president. Walt Reynaud is executive vice president.
* Officers were re-elected at the annual meeting of the Monett First National Bank. W. Vance Davis is the president. Allen McReynolds, of Carthage, is vice president. Milburn Walker is vice present and cashier.
FORTY YEARS AGO
Jan. 12, 1971
* Population of the City of Monett in the official 1970 census is listed at 5,937, an increase of 678 or nearly 13 percent over the 1960 census.
* In response to petitions, the Monett R-1 Board of Education voted to place a proposed boundary change between the Monett and Purdy school districts on the ballot for the April school election.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
Jan. 12, 1981
* Average salaries for classroom teachers in the Monett R-1 School District top the list of average salaries for school districts in Barry County and compare favorably with those in districts throughout southwest Missouri.
* A solar panel, designed by three instructors at the Monett Area Vocational-Technical School, has been constructed and installed in the electronics classroom to provide heating on sunny days.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
Jan. 12, 1991
* Heroes of the week in Monett have been the City Street Department, working tirelessly to free the community from the clench of ice that has gripped the area for the past two weeks. Since the weekend before Christmas, department crews have worked every day except Christmas to clear the roads.
* A total of 149 eagles were counted on Table Rock Lake and in Barry County during the annual mid-winter waterfowl survey by the Missouri Conservation Service.
TEN YEARS AGO
Jan. 12, 2001
* The Pierce City City Council has asked the Lawrence County Commission to establish a direct link for 911 calls to dispatchers in Monett to prevent multiple transfers that have disconnected callers.
* Students from the Monett Beacon school had a full day at Governor Bob Holden's inaugurations. They had a tour of the capitol and a contingent attended the inaugural ball.