100 YEARS AGO
Dec. 22, 1910
* Gurley Brothers, of Purdy, have purchased the Newman and Estes stock of hardware at Fairview.
NINETY YEARS AGO
Dec. 22, 1920
* Miss Pearl Chappell, formerly a teacher in the Monett schools, was married at Long Beach, Calif., Nov. 26, to John Snider, of Fort Worth, Texas. Mr. Snider is in the oil industry.
EIGHTY YEARS AGO
Dec. 22, 1930
* The Frederick Cigar Factory Inc. is closed for the annual Christmas vacation. The manager, A.Z. Hood, and Mrs. Hood, left Sunday to spend the holidays with relatives in Paducah, Ky.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
Dec. 22, 1940
* Miss Zelma Vermillion and Miss Alice Meador, students at Missouri University, came Friday to spend the Christmas holidays with their parents, Mr. and Mrs. Marley Vermillion and Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Meador.
* Miss Elsie Millikan, of Des Moines, Iowa, is spending the Christmas holidays with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. R.A. Millikan.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
Dec. 22, 1950
* The church school of the First Methodist Church will present a Christmas program Sunday afternoon at 4 o'clock at the church.
* Parker Sizer, a freshman at Missouri University, Columbia, arrived Wednesday to spend the Christmas vacation with his parents, Mr.and Mrs. Fielding P. Sizer.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
Dec. 22, 1960
* One of the greatest blessings that can be counted in the Monett area on the eve of Christmas is that industrial payrolls have been abundant for 1960 and prospects for 1961 are optimistic. The population grew by 12 percent over the census count in 1950.
* Temperatures plunged to a new season low of 3 above zero early this morning, but weather forecasters promise some relief from the frigid weather for area residents.
FORTY YEARS AGO
Dec. 22, 1970
* The John S. Turner home at 1311 N. Central, featuring many of the symbols of the joyous season attractively lighted, is the first place winner in the annual Monett Jaycees Christmas Home Decorations Contest. Second place went to the Floyd Stewart home at 506 Fifth St. featuring Peanuts characters.
* Monett's first American Field Service student from 1963, Klaus Floyd, made a return visit this week.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
Dec. 22, 1980
* An open house at the Monett Adult Learning Center is planned tomorrow. The center, at 1019 Sixth St., is headquarters for the Adult Basic Education Program.
* A cast of nine from 75 who auditioned will present "The Strolling Players" tonight in the Pierce City High School Auditorium.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
Dec. 22, 1990
* A walk/bike ride/run, the second of six community-wide events sponsored by the Monett Area Health Council, is planned for Jan. 5 on a three-mile course ending at the City Park Casino.
* The Verona High School girls beat Golden City 31-21 while Purdy lost 32-27 to Southwest and Pierce City lost 39-27 to their hosts in Diamond.
TEN YEARS AGO
Dec. 22, 2000
* Finding a Purdy family in particular need at holiday time, associates at the Monett Wal-Mart Supercenter combined their efforts with the Barry-Lawrence Ambulance District and others to deliver supplies for the occasion.
* Tiffany Carver, daughter of Nancy and Tracy Carver, of Monett, was named Little Miss Wal-Mart in the second annual contest held for the Monett Supercenter.