Monett Cub wrestlers shine at Carl Junction
The Monett Cubs wrestling team finished third in the Carl Junction Classic on Saturday.
Monett had six wrestlers finish in first place in their respective weight class. The six first place finishes marked the most for Monett at Carl Junctions tournament since 2008.
"Overall I think it was a good tournament," said Monett Head Coach Daryl Bradley. "Last year, we only had one champion and placed seventh at this tournament. We have improved but, have a long way to go if we want to be at the top when the season ends."
Monett's champions were:
* 103 pounds: Chase Brennan (first high school championship) defeated Levi Kester (Pittsburg, Kan.) by pin.
* 135 pounds: Chris Renteria defeated Chance Eads (Seneca) 17-6.
* 140 pounds: Juan Renteria, (1st high school Championship) defeated State Qualifier Trevor Sill (Seneca) 8-4.
* 145 pounds: Carter Huffmaster (1st high school championship) defeated Zack Shepard (Nevada) 9-8.
* 152 pounds: Ethan Davis (23rd high school championship title) defeated Missouri All-State selection Trenton Landes (Carl Junction) 10-2.
* 189 pounds: Matt Schiffner (first high school championship) defeating Nick Lovejoy (Webb City) 6-3.
"Individually I was pleased with all of our champions," said Bradley. "Freshman Chase Brennan was dominant collecting five pins in his first tournament. Matt Schiffner avenged a loss he suffered earlier in the day and won a tough match against a bigger opponent.
"It was encouraging to be in the team race only losing to Seneca by 19.5 points," added Bradley. "I think that this tournament gives me an idea on what we need to work on to get better for the second half of the season."
The wrestlingCubs will be in action Wednesday, Dec. 29 in the Springfield Holiday Tournament.
Monett youth wrestling
The Monett Youth Wrestling Club participated in the Seneca Youth Wrestling Tournament on Sunday, Dec. 5.
|Eight Monett wrestlers participated in the event.||Placing first for the Cubs were: Matthew Bahl (Div II, 55 pounds), Cole Davis (Div II, 70 pounds), and Ian Meyer (Div IV, 125 pounds).|
Placing second for the Cubs were Joseph Semerad (Div II, 60 pounds), Ethan Umfleet (Div II, 65 pounds), Josh Bahl (Div III, 70 pounds) and Hunter Pyle (Div III, 110 pounds).
Also placing was Gunnar Bradley, who placed 3rd in Division III at the 65-pound weight class.