100 YEARS AGO
Dec. 2, 1910
* The Frisco is just completing a temporary freight house in the yards to take the place of the string of box cars used for an office since the hold freight house was destroyed by fire.
EIGHTY YEARS AGO
Dec. 2, 1930
* Monett merchants will offer a treasure hunt on Dec. 12. Each merchant will select a gift and place it in his window. A number will be placed on the gift and the shopper who has the corresponding number may claim the article.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
Dec. 2, 1940
* A representative of the Wood Garment Manufacturing Company was in Monett yesterday looking for a permanent location for a garment factory. The company is planning to establish a plant somewhere in this territory.
* Glenn Blauvelt has been appointed manager of the Gas Service Company group of properties operating in this vicinity, succeeding Harry Siebenthaler.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
Dec. 2, 1950
* Final score of the Marble Bowl game at Carthage last night, featuring the Monett Cubs and the Mt. Vernon Mountaineers, was 19 to 6 for Mt. Vernon. The Big Eight champions from Monett were outplayed from the start.
* According to County Clerk George England, deer tag sales were off slightly this year from a record number of 92 which were purchased for the 1949 season.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
Dec. 2, 1960
* Construction is nearing completion on the new Highway 37 bridge at the east edge of Pierce City with the project expected to be finished in less than two weeks.
* Rabbit breeders from 20 cities throughout the four-state area are expected to be in Monett this weekend to participate in the Missouri State Rabbit Breeders Association show.
FORTY YEARS AGO
Dec. 2, 1970
* A total of 345 gift items valued at $1,148.74 were shipped yesterday the Monett Hobbs-Anderson Unit 91 of the American Legion Auxiliary to the Veterans Hospital at Poplar Bluff.
* The Monett Chamber of Commerce has asked the State Highway Commission to consider a south entry to I-44 at the Stotts City interchange after plans for improving Route H were withdrawn.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
Dec. 2, 1980
* An unusual holiday program which will feature the story of Christmas in music will be presented by the Ozarks Chapter of the American Guild of Organists and the Monett Area Choir on Dec. 7 at Trinity Lutheran Church in Freistatt.
* The Monett High School wrestlers with eight returning lettermen will launch the 1980-81 season Thursday when they travel to Vinita, Okla., for a dual meet.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
Dec. 2, 1990
* The night was filled with song yesterday as around 80 people gathered at Monett City Park to participate in ceremonies to light the community Christmas tree, sitting on the hillside overlooking Highway 60.
* Pete Rauch and James Freiburger were re-elected to positions on the Monett Rural Fire Association Board of Directors. Clint Dalbom and Mike Meier were elected to vacancies for Districts 3 and 4.
TEN YEARS AGO
Dec. 2, 2000
* Monett High School's Speech and Debate students have been hard at work preparing for the 41st annual Priscilla Bradford Invitational Tournament, now underway.
* Pulling away in overtime, the boys Monett Cubs cagers won for the first time this season on Thursday, beating El Dorado Springs 72-68.