100 YEARS AGO
Dec. 1, 1910
* Rev. Charles G. Kelly, of Springfield, who has been called to the pastorage of the First Christian Church at this place, arrived in the city today and will begin his work at once.
EIGHTY YEARS AGO
Dec. 1, 1930
* Harlan Mann, of Monett, is promoting a new nine-hole golf course for Aurora. He has leased 76 acres of rolling ground close to Aurora and has been working it for the past three months.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
Dec. 1, 1940
* Solon Wright, Jr., of Tulsa, Okla., visited over the weekend with Mrs. Wright, who is here caring for her grandmother, Mrs. Mary Miller, while Mrs. E.F. Saxe is visiting in St. Louis.
* Mr. and Mrs. Carl Linebarger entertained with a party in honor of Mr. and Mrs. Joe Bill Bentley, a recently married couple, on Friday.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
Dec. 1, 1950
* Continuing fair weather may prompt the crowd at the Marble Bowl to exceed 5,000. Monett will play Mt. Vernon in the annual post-season grid contest, sponsored by the Jaycees in Carthage.
* John W. Hunt, who has been associate editor of The Monett Times since last March, has resigned his position. Mrs. Margaret Sharp, who has been in The Times business office for the past four months, has joined the advertising staff.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
Dec. 1, 1960
* Monett's Cubs finally found the range in the fourth quarter in their initial test of the Springfield Parkview basketball tournament and scored 18 points in the last 18 minutes to beat the Springfield Bullpups 56-40.
* Monett stores will begin their staying open late at night for the convenience of Christmas shoppers on Thursday.
FORTY YEARS AGO
Dec. 1, 1970
* Annual Christmas Flower Show and Tea of the Monett Council of Garden Clubs will be held Friday at the Monett City Park Casino.
* A lack of public support was credited for the State Highway Commission withdrawing proposed improvements for Route H from its five-year plan.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
Dec. 1, 1980
* Corinne Bruegel, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Bruegel of Route 1, Verona, has been selected Miss Merrie Christmas at Monett High School. Jane Ann Caldwell and Ladeanna Jeffreys will be the attendants.
* Sherrill Maus Easterling, a former Monettan who is now a math instructor at Howard College in Big Spring, Texas, has recently won the women's division of Allsup's Marathon at Clovis, N.M.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
Dec. 1, 1990
* An earthquake as devastating as the one that hit San Francisco last year has been predicted to occur on Dec. 3 on the New Madrid Fault. Emergency agencies through the state, including Monett, have been busy reviewing and fine-tuning preparedness plans.
* At its November meeting, the St. Vincent's Hospital Auxiliary reported making $356 from the annual Tour of Homes in October.
TEN YEARS AGO
Dec. 1, 2000
* Lawrence County Clerk Bob Bartelsmeyer thinks the election debate in Florida will impact the continued local use of punch card ballots, which have been used since 1985.
* Verona High School's Miss Merrie Christmas Beth Ruscha, and her attendants Amanda May and Heather Harris will ride in the Verona Christmas parade tomorrow, sponsored by the Verona Lions Club.