100 YEARS AGO
Nov. 17, 1910
* The Monett High School football team and the Verona team will play at the local park Saturday afternoon. This will probably be the last game of the season and all lovers of the game should attend.
NINETY YEARS AGO
Nov. 17, 1920
* Work was begun on the new state highway through Monett. M.E. Gillioz, who was awarded the contract, has engaged as foreman J.W. McDonald, an old railroad surveyor who understands the business thoroughly.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
Nov. 17, 1940
* The open house at Central school was well attended. Many former teachers and students returned to help celebrate the golden anniversary of the erection of Central School.
* Harold Heagerty, star halfback for the Monett Cubs to years ago, is still making a good reputation for himself on the gridiron at William Jewel College. His broken field running has been good for nice gains and his left-handed bullet passes have been good for gains and touchdowns.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
Nov. 17, 1950
* Don Farout, director of athletics and head football coach at the University of Missouri, will be the main speaker at the Monett High School gridders banquet at the Casino on Dec. 20.
* Finishing touches are being put on the new Cassville City Hall this week.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
Nov. 17, 1960
* Sammie Jo Jestice, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J.C. Jestice, this afternoon was selected as Monett's Miss Merrie Christmas for 1960.
* Last walls of the Windsor Hotel building, a land mark in Pierce city for three-quarters of a century, came tumbling down this week as the structure is being razed by wrecking crews to make way for erection of a new post office. The New Windsor Hotel was one of the most modern of its kind in southwest Missouri.
FORTY YEARS AGO
Nov. 17, 1970
* From 1963 to 1968 the Monett School District erected $1 million in structures and paid $51,910 in architectural fees. From Oct. 1968 to Nov. 1970, the City of Monett has paid the firm of Wm. G. Riddle and Associates $102,197.89 in engineering fees.
* Gifts and drawings will be held this week to mark the eighth anniversary celebration of Bruner's Pharmacy in Monett, announced Gayle and Harriet Bruner, owners.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
Nov. 17, 1980
* Monett area residents awakened this morning to the soft pelting of snow as it fell to the ground, accumulating a layer of wet flakes, with children of all ages delighting in the first snowfall this season.
* Overall sweepstakes winner of Monett's 21st annual Southwest Missouri Speech and Debate Tournament was neosho High School with a total of 127 points.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
Nov. 17, 1990
* Winners in the 15th annual Monett Times' Recipe Edition included Carol Rickard's "Sizzlin' Chicken" for meats, Mary McMeley's "Puppy Chow" for appetizers; and Rose Ann Staponski's "Festive Wine-Peach Jelly" for desserts.
* "1940s' Radio Hour" will be performed by the Monett Theatrical Arts Guild on Sunday at the Monett City Hall Auditorium. Thom Brandt is the director.
TEN YEARS AGO
Nov. 17, 2000
* Jackie Lowe, a veteran of the Wheaton Police Department, has been hired by the Purdy Police Department.
* The Monett High School senior girls beat the juniors to win football supremacy for the second year.