|100 YEARS AGO|
Nov. 10, 1910
* John Breece has purchased Joe Kennedy's soda pop factory and will take charge of the same in a few days. Mr. Kennedy did not sell his ice cream factory.
EIGHTY YEARS AGO
Nov. 10, 1930
* Leo, Etha, Stella and Mildred Stark, Ulus Hilton, Cleta Davis and Cecil Leftwick of the Pleasant Ridge community attended the Ozark Conference "Echo Meeting" at the First Christian Church.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
Nov. 10, 1940
* Selection of a 56,000 acre site in the Mark Twain national forest, about 30 miles southwest of Rolla, for the Seventh Corps area training center was announced last night by the war department.
* The Sunday dinner special at H&H Café is fried chicken, mashed potatoes, cream peas, combination salad, biscuit, cherry cobbler, and coffee, tea or milk for 35 cents.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
Nov. 10, 1950
* The goal is in sight! Slightly more than $9,000 has been raised to date in the $10,000 fund drive for the Stevie Toggs factory.
* Business and Professional Women's Club met last night at the Legion Memorial Home and tribute was paid to Miss Nellie Mills, retired commerce teacher in Monett High School.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
Nov. 10, 1960
* Monett High School's first annual speech and debate tournament will be held Friday and Saturday with about 18 schools entered, according to Miss Priscilla Bradford, speech instructor at the high school.
* A record number of Monettans went to the polls Tuesday with 3,270 persons in the five wards casting ballots in the presidential race.
FORTY YEARS AGO
Nov. 10, 1970
* Enrollment at the Monett Area Vocational School totals 413 students for the 1970-71 school year, reflecting the continued growth of the school since it first opened in 1965-66 with an enrollment of 174.
* Special programs by the Monett Hobbs-Anderson Post 91 of the American Legion and the Monett World War I Veterans Barracks 1072 will highlight the annual Veterans Day observance in Monett.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
Nov. 10, 1980
* Veterans of World War I Barracks No. 1072 will host the Fifth District World War I Veterans and Auxiliary observance tomorrow at the Monett City Park Casino.
* Kitchen facilities in the Monett Junior High School cafeteria were apparently "borrowed" over the weekend with the intruders also raiding the food cafeteria cooler to complete their illicit snack supper, and then cleaning up their mess before departing.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
Nov. 10, 1990
* Krista Vermillion, four-year-old daughter of Jim and Karyl Vermillion, and Anthony Going, three-year-old son of John and Margaret Going, were named Little Miss and Mister Merry Christmas at the ninth annual pageant.
* Renovation of the Frisco Railroad caboose at Monett City Park was completed this week. Work included raising the car and replacing the railroad ties beneath it.
TEN YEARS AGO
Nov. 10, 2000
* The sudden appearance of snow on the Monett landscape Wednesday night revised those plans of one more lawn mowing for this weekend. Children went to Monett Elementary School bundled in hoods and mittens.
* Plans are complete for the Community Thanksgiving Dinner in Monett, sponsored by members of the First Presbyterian Church. The event will be held on Sunday, Nov. 19, at the Monett Middle School cafeteria.