NINETY YEARS AGO
Oct. 8, 1920
* That the Monett division of the G.I.A. Auxiliary to the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers is as near perfect in the ritual work as can be made is the verdict of Mrs. Cody, St. Louis grand organizer and district inspector who visited the lodge yesterday.
EIGHTY YEARS AGO
Oct. 8, 1930
* Mrs. H.P.S. Burke, chairman of the committee of volunteer service of the American Red Cross, found ready response here when a call was made for Red Cross packages. Responding generously were the Music Club, Hawthorne Club, the P.E.O. Sisterhood and the American Legion Auxiliary.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
Oct. 8, 1940
* The Kiwanis Club unanimously endorsed the airport proposal and petitioned the city government to call a special election for the purpose of voting a bond to buy and maintain an airfield.
* The Sub-Deb Club enjoyed a hay rack ride Monday evening at the Roetto's farm.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
Oct. 8, 1950
* "Diversified Occupations" is the title of a program now being offered in the Monett High School, which has the purpose of "providing training for high school students under real conditions so they will be able to select intelligently and make progress in a chosen profession."
* Coach Kenley Richardson is going to take 31 members of the football team to Fayetteville this Saturday to see the game between Arkansas University and Baylor University.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
Oct. 8, 1960
* Coming from behind twice, the last time with a two-touchdown outburst in less than two minutes in the fourth quarter, the Monett Cubs outlasted Lamar's Tigers 21-12 last night.
* Program for the Monett Kiwanis Kids Day event on Saturday has been completed with plans to treat boys and girls to a free movie.
FORTY YEARS AGO
Oct. 8, 1970
* The Foggy River Boys were the first place winner of the Mid-Continent Gospel Singing Contest, held for four weekends at Fantastic Caverns in Springfield.
* The Monett City Council voted to purchase a model 209 3-M copier from American Business Machines of Springfield for $695 and keep the old model.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
Oct. 8, 1980
* Bill Davis, chairman of the Missouri Division of Commerce and Economic Development, will be the guest speaker for the Monett Industrial Seminar, sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce.
* The Monett Quarterback Club will hold its annual Game Ball Raffle Friday with all proceeds going to the Burl Fowler Scholarship Fund.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
Oct. 8, 1990
* A special recognition of Senior Counsellor has been given to Edward V. Sweeney, of Monett, at the recent annual meeting of the Missouri Bar Association. Sweeney began practicing law in Monett in 1940.
* The Monett "Pride and Progress" sign was put back in place on steel H beams, instead of wood posts broken by a wind storm on Aug. 19.
TEN YEARS AGO
Oct. 8, 2000
* Barry County's unemployment rate for August went up to 2.2 percent. The Lawrence County rate dipped to 2.6 percent.
* Jenni Apostol of the Monett Cubs tennis team captured the district champions Saturday in singles competition in district play at Monett. The Monett senior will now compete in the state individual championships Oct. 20-21 in Springfield.