NINETY YEARS AGO
Oct. 6, 1920
* One of the most outstanding social events of the season is scheduled for Friday night when several of the young men of the town will give a dance at Mackwell's hall.
EIGHTY YEARS AGO
Oct. 6, 1930
* Virgil Millsap left today for St. Louis, where he will be joined by his brother, Charles, of Jefferson City. They will buy merchandise for the Millsap Brothers Dry Goods stores in Monett, Mt. Vernon and Jefferson City and attend the World Series.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
Oct. 6, 1940
* Workmen began this morning on construction of the Model Home, the first house to be constructed in Sunset Drive, Monett new resident subdivision. Sunset Drive was developed by the building committee of the Commercial Club. The plot is divided into 10 lots.
* Bessie Meador, president of the Monett Business and Professional Women's Club, is leading a delegation of nine Monett club members to the third district conference at Marshfield.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
Oct. 6, 1950
* Harry Hatcher, well known Monett restaurant operator, is taking in the World Series this week with a front row seat. Hatcher is watching every play over his newly installed television set.
* Members of the Monett Cubs football team got a rousing sendoff this afternoon when the high school turned out for a pop rally to wish them good luck in their game with Lebanon.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
Oct. 6, 1960
* Monett High School seniors, David Aber, Charles Collins and James Gorham received notification that they will receive a special commendation from the National Merit Scholarship corporation for their outstanding scores.
* Seniors Diane Wilks and Mary Mettlach, and juniors Joyce Horn and Nancy Bowen are nominees for Homecoming Queen in Pierce City this week.
FORTY YEARS AGO
Oct. 8, 1970
* Plans to convert the Verona Telephone Company's system to direct distance dialing at 7 a.m. on Oct. 15 were announced today by Warren Strawn, owner.
* A goal of $14,315 has been set for the Monett United Fund residential drive, which got underway yesterday.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
Oct. 6, 1980
* Monett High School Marching Pride joined 20 other bands from throughout the area to compete in Saturday's seventh annual Aurora Houn' Dawgs Marching Band Festival with the local band awarded thir place in the Class 2A street competition.
* Local and area fires continued at a record rate over the past weekend with Monett city and rural firefighters responding to five calls between mid-morning Saturday and presstime today.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
Oct. 6, 1990
* The 46-member Ozark Festival Orchestra will open its season with a concert at 3 p.m. on Oct. 14 at Monett City Hall Auditorium, under the direction of David Goza.
* Glowing in her floor-length gown of white satin, Miss Lori Henderson was crowned 1990 Homecoming Queen during coronation ceremonies at E.E. Camp Gymnasium today.
TEN YEARS AGO
Oct. 6, 2000
* Enrollment in the Monett R-1 School District hit 2,024 for the September count, the largest on record.
* The Monett Garden Council held its annual standard flower show last Saturday at the Monett City Park Casino. The theme was "Romance of the Season." Carol Kay won the Tricolor and Award of Distinction.