100 YEARS AGO
Oct. 1, 1910
* Mr. and Mrs. S.C. Horn entertained the Up-Side-Down Club and friends Friday evening to celebrate their wedding anniversary. Dancing and cards were enjoyed. Music was furnished by Charles Anderson, violinist, and with various members of the guest list at the piano.
EIGHTY YEARS AGO
Oct. 1, 1930
* Charles Kunz, of Dixon, has been assigned the position of Frisco agent at Monett and will assume duties immediately. The position opened by the death of AT Brown Sept. 4.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
Oct. 1, 1940
* Chief of Police Dan Macdonald successfully underwent an appendectomy at the veteran's hospital in Fayetteville this morning. He was stricken last night.
* Heading the list of Monett garden club members who have been invited to attend the semi-annual meeting of the National Council of State Garden Clubs is Mrs. H.A. Gardener, second vice president of Federated Garden Clubs of Missouri.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
Oct. 1, 1950
* A sample metal street marker has been erected at the northeast intersection of Fifth and Bond streets here and the city council is giving consideration to the purchase of over 200 of the markers to be erected over the city.
* The Monett High School Student Council and Principal Wayne Wright are going to put up new signs in the school over fire exits. This will be to aid students in quickly recognizing doors to leave the building in case of an emergency.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
Oct. 1, 1960
* Mt. Vernon's Mountaineers, defending Big 9 Conference champions, defeated the winless Cubs 14 to 6 before a capacity crowd at the first home game of the season.
* A workshop for women of District Four of the Carthage Ozark Presbytery will be conducted by administrative officers at the Waldensian Church.
FORTY YEARS AGO
Oct. 1, 1970
* A native Monettan, Audry Augustus "Gus" Bowers, has recently been honored on his retirement as fire marshal of Royal Oak, Mich.
* One of Missouri high school's longest football rivalries will be renewed tomorrow night when the Monett Cubs and Aurora Houn' Dawgs clash at Aurora. The series is all even since 1924.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
Oct. 1, 1980
* Current operations and projected expansions over the next five years at EFCO Corporation were reviewed by Chris Fuldner, secretary-treasurer of the local industry, at yesterday's Kiwanis meeting.
* Monett Head Football Coach Ron Richardson reviewed the evaluation system to determined the MHS Cubs Players of the Week was reviewed for the Monett Quarterback Club meeting.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
Oct. 1, 1990
* Smiling faces were abundant Saturday at the eighth annual Children's Art Fair at Monett South Park.
* Monett High School Marching Pride won three awards Saturday in its first competition of the year in Sullivan, reported Director Randy Mealer. The Marching Pride took second place overall and first in color guard and senior trumpet solo.
TEN YEARS AGO
Oct. 1, 2000
* Forty-three pieces of art by Monett area artists were on display Saturday at Western Sizzlin' restaurant as part of the fall competition by the Mozark Artist Guild. Nine places were awarded.
* Monett school staff recently received special training on a pilot program to extend the learning day. The program uses the Song Play Station video game system.