100 YEARS AGO
Sept. 29, 1910
* It is rumored on the streets that the Frisco will take charge of the car repair work by the Kansas City Car Construction Company and the Car Company would have no part of the repair work here.
EIGHTY YEARS AGO
Sept. 29, 1930
* R.S. Black, surrounded by 82 of his kinsmen and friends, celebrated his 89th birthday Sunday. "Uncle Robert" in the silvery livery of advanced age and his hoary head for a crown, sat like a patriarch amid the throng who made up his staff of honor for the day.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
Sept. 29, 1940
* Mrs. L.E. Lines, president of the Monett Junior-Senior organization, and Mrs. J.D. Higgins, president of the Barry County Association, will attend the state PTA convention in Excelsior Springs.
* Listed as Monett Times carriers are Hubert Edwards, Tommie Wimsatt, Richard Bertalotto, Harmon Edwards, Jimmie Arend, Max Corrie, Coleman Arend, Billie Scott and Roy Worm.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
Sept. 29, 1950
* Blacktopping of three miles of farm-to-market roads near Monett in the Monett Special Road District is now underway. Included are two miles running north from Highway 60 one mile east of Monett. A one mile stretch is also being blacktopped north of the Highway 37 intersection at Cox Cemetery.
* First Baptist Church members will meet Sunday to decide about building a new auditorium and remodeling of the old building.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
Sept. 29, 1960
* The Missouri Public Service Commission today granted the Frisco Railroad the authority to discontinue the last two passenger runs from Monett to the Kansas line.
* The new concrete concession stand will be in used for the first time at the Jaycee Athletic Field tomorrow night. The keys will be presented to the school board by the American Legion.
FORTY YEARS AGO
Sept. 29, 1970
* Wes Fesler, three-time All American football end at Ohio State, spoke at Monett High School yesterday.
* Area National Guardsmen were called to their armories last night as the 203rd Engineer Battalion staged a practice alert.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
Sept. 29, 1980
* Over 200 area residents attended the open house at the new Monett Trap and Recreation Park on Saturday and toured the facility on the 13.2 acres tract in the Monett Industrial Park.
* Monett City Auction, held Saturday at the Monett City Park Casino, has been termed a success with items offered bringing a total of $1,787.95 for the city's general fund.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
Sept. 29, 1990
* An update on plans for the construction of a new medical building at St. Vincent's Hospital in Monett was provided by Sister Marita Pozek, chief executive officer, during a barbecue dinner meeting of the Lay Advisory Board.
* The Monett unit of the American Cancer Society recently presented plaques for service in this year's drive. Among the recipients were Kevin Wodlinger, publicity and golf tournament chairman; Harrell Hall, chairman of the business and industrial drive; Julie Rowe, Crusade chairman; Vinita Hall, St. Patrick's Dinner Theatre chairman; Dr. Tom McClure, benefit bowling tournament chairman.
TEN YEARS AGO
Sept. 29, 2000
* More than 100 resumes have been received by the Monett Chamber of Commerce for a successor for Executive Director Gary Nodler.
* Paul Reiter, General Presbytery of John Calvin Presbytery, was the keynote speaker at the 125th anniversary celebration of the Waldensian Presbyterian Church in Monett.