|100 YEARS AGO|
Sept. 23, 1910
* The first consignment of Ozark apples was shipped out last night to a northern state. There were 500 bushels in the shipment.
EIGHTY YEARS AGO
Sept. 23, 1930
* Arrangements are being made to release approximately 30,000 fish in Roaring River, Roaring River State Park, at Cassville. The fish are expected to attain a catchable size by the opening of the season next month.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
Sept. 23, 1940
* Workmen are busy today cleaning the ground northeast of Monett which will be used for a landing field for the CAA course in flying being offered by the Monett Junior College.
* Public installation services were conducted Saturday night at the Masonic Temple for the newly-elected officers of the Rainbow Girls. Miss Juana Mae Biggerstaff was installed as Worthy Advisor.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
Sept. 23, 1950
* Sale of the Central States Grocery Company to V.B. Hall was announced today.
* Only three offensive plays were needed last night for the Monett High School Cubs to get into high gear and start on a touchdown rampage that smothered the Springfield Bulldogs to the tune of 32-0 at the Jaycee Athletic Field here, seen by over 1,700 persons.
|FIFTY YEARS AGO|
Sept. 23, 1960
* Monett's 13th annual Poultry Improvement Day gets underway tomorrow at the City Park Casino with eventful sessions to be held featuring outstanding speakers in the poultry industry.
* Members of the Monett Lions Club have everything ready for the third annual chicken barbecue which will be staged at the Monett City Park tomorrow with the Lions prepared in advance to serve 3,000.
|FORTY YEARS AGO|
Sept. 23, 1970
* Geraldine Conway, prominent lecturer and author, will speak at the Monett First United Methodist Church on Saturday.
* Monett's new Weather Bureau Meteorological Observatory and its role in collecting data were outlined for the Kiwanis Club's meeting at Hatcher's banquet room.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
Sept. 23, 1980
* Monett Mayor Harrell Hall has designated Sept. 27 as Hunting and Fishing Day in Monett.
* A Lawrence County Circuit Court jury deliberated 16 minutes yesterday before clearing a rural Mt. Vernon man of killing a black bear in violation of the state wildlife code.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
Sept. 23, 1990
* The east side of Monett's South provided a splendid panorama for the annual Monett Pioneer Days and Buckskin Rendezvous with ideal weather conditions for a wide variety of activities.
* Over 30 riders joined in the eight-mile "Wheels for Life" Bike-A-Thon to benefit St. Jude Hospital.
TEN YEARS AGO
Sept. 23, 2000
* Generating a grinding ground attack, the Monett Cubs shocked previously undefeated and state-ranked Springfield Catholic 28-12, Friday night in a nine-conference football contest at Burl Fowler Athletic Field.
* Enjoying her part of the new sidewalk in downtown Monett, Angela Brown at Techniques has given the concrete a promotional role to play in her business. She added a hand print with the sidewalk was fresh, and has changed the artificial nails on the hand each month.