EIGHTY YEARS AGO
Sept. 15, 1930
* Floyd E. Armstrong, who has operated a grocery story and market at 315 County Road for five years, has bought the J.W. Armstrong and Son Grocery at Third Street and Broadway and will combine the two stocks at the Broadway location.
* M.C. Prevo, a pioneer citizen of Monett, died at the home of his son, George Prevo, at Pleasant Ridge township on Sept. 14.
|SEVENTY YEARS AGO|
Sept. 15, 1940
* Mr. And Mrs. A.B. Collier and daughters, Marilyn and Anita, left early this morning on a two-week vacation trip to the east. They will visit New York City and other interesting places on the Atlantic coast.
* Mrs. A.W Gilbert has as her house guest her granddaughter, Dixie Lee Gilbert, of Vinita, Okla.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
Sept. 15, 1950
* With the coming of the first frost, many lots and alleys in Monett will become potential fire hazards as the dead grass and weeds on them grow dry.
* Mrs. Frank T. Gorman and Mrs. Huber Ellis, of Monett, made a business trip to Joplin on Thursday.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
Sept. 15, 1960
* Plans for the reginal Future Homemakers of America meeting which will be held at the Monett High School next month were made at a session of the local group held yesterday at the Youth Center.
* Pierce City's Eagles open the 1960 football season Friday when Carl Junction invades the PCHS gridiron in what will be the first Mo-Kan Conference game for both elevens.
|FORTY YEARS AGO|
Sept. 15, 1970
* Another in a series of expansions for the G and R Industries Inc., which has manufacturing plants in Monett and Purdy, was announced today with the firm to move its special products line manufacturing to the former casket factory location in Pierce City.
* Air Force Sergeant Lyndall H. Glaser, son of Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence H. Glaser, 1016 Fifth St. in Monett, has arrived for duty at Yamato Air Station in Japan.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
Sept. 15, 1980
* The family of Rev. and Mrs. S. Allen Watson, of 312 Third St., Monett, spotted an albino skunk in their yard early yesterday morning and watched it for several minutes before the timid animal shied away from its exposed position into more hidden surrounds.
* H. Grant Schmidt has assumed the position of Minister of Music and Youth at the First Baptist Church in Monett last week after moving to the area from Forth Worth, Texas.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
Sept. 15, 1990
* Bids for five construction projects, three of which involve improvements at Monett City Hall, are being sought by the Monett City Council.
* Lori Henderson has been named football homecoming queen at Monett High School this fall. Senior attendant is Michaele Taylor.
TEN YEARS AGO
Sept. 15, 2000
* The long-awaited return to full use of the old Wal-Mart and Consumers Market buildings is about to take place. Window manufacturer EFCO Corporation has stepped forward to meet its own needs by using the open space and large parking lot available at the combined facility.
* A brainstorming exchange between members of the Pierce City R-6 Board of Education offered ideas of facility improvements coming out of faculty breakout sessions Superintendent Clinton Waters said a short list had emerged for the elementary school.