NINETY YEARS AGO
Sept. 2, 1920
* The first jury of women that has been summoned to set in judgment in court in Monett was in the case of the City versus W.P. McCampbell, barber, charged with assaulting a small boy.
EIGHTY YEARS AGO
Sept. 2, 1930
* O.T. Allred has bought the J.M. Finn stock of groceries and took charge of the business this morning.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
Sept. 2, 1940
* Mrs. Gleason Bowen returned this morning after spending the weekend in St. Louis with her daughter, Miss Mary Virginia Bowen.
* Southwest Missouri's National Guardsmen, including Monett's Headquarters Battery, have been called for a year of federal military service by President Roosevelt. The units will mobilize Sept. 16.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
Sept. 2, 1950
* The first loads of a large order of bricks, ordered for more than six weeks, has arrived and work on remodeling the front and west walls of the Broadway Hotel will start next week. Owners O.E. Parscale and Louis Moret have planned modernization for several months.
* Miss Lou Ellen Jones, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. L.G. Jones, left for Nevada, Mo., where she will teach physical education and health at the high school.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
Sept. 2, 1960
* An ordinance calling for a 10:30 p.m. curfew of loitering minors at Cassville has been passed by the Cassville City Council and went into effect yesterday.
* Safe driving awards were presented through the cooperation of the postal department and the National Safety Council by Acting Postmaster Bob Hemphill to Spencer Smith for 29 years of safe driving, Albert Avondet for six years and Dick Obermann for five years, yesterday.
FORTY YEARS AGO
Sept. 2, 1970
* A $14,315 budget for the 1970-71 Monett United Fund was approved and dates for the local fundraising campaign were set by the board.
* Named as representatives for the freshman class at Monett High School to the Student Council are Doug Monroe, Theresa Nowak, Jami Crist, Jan McCullough and Steve Hemphill.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
Sept. 2, 1980
* A record $3,369.05 was contributed and pledged by Monett area residents during the sixth annual Muscular Dystrophy drive here, held in conjunction with the annual Jerry Lewis Labor Day Telethon.
* The Monett Ministerial Alliance will sponsor a Friendly Visitor Workshop to provide insight and training in the art of visiting people who are confined to a hospital, nursing home or their own home.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
Sept. 2, 1990
* A engineering contract for the construction of the $.4 million expansion and improvement project at the Monett Wastewater Treatment Plant was awarded to Allgeier, Martin and Associates, the same firm contracted for the design phase of the project.
* Jay Apostol, chairman of the local MDA telethon, said students from the National Forensic League at Monett High School will be staffing the local phones throughout the 22-hour telethon.
TEN YEARS AGO
Sept. 2, 2000
* Seventh District Congressman Roy Blunt recently spoke to area veterans during a visit to Tom Wolfe Memorial Post #4207, Veterans for Foreign Wars, focusing mainly upon veteran's health care issues.
* A record number of 661 entries made the 35th annual flower and garden show one of the most successful for the Tillers 'n Toilers Garden Club in Verona.