100 YEARS AGO
Aug. 26, 1910
* Mrs. Fred Albert, of Pierce City, who is in Europe, attended the Passion Play at Oberammergau.
EIGHTY YEARS AGO
Aug. 26, 1930
* The V.B. Hall Wholesale Company shipped out the first carload of Concord grapes yesterday. They were shipped to northern markets.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
Aug. 26, 1940
* Pleasant H. Barris, 72, mayor of Verona and attorney there for the past 40 years, died yesterday at his home.
* "South Acre" home of Mr. and Mrs. V.B. Hall was the scene of one of the happiest gatherings ever held by the Christian Church people when practically the entire membership met there last evening for a supper honoring Rev. and J.H. Stidham and Rev. W.A. Crabb, former church pastors.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
Aug. 26, 1950
* Sale of the Dillion Funeral Home to Roy H. Mercer, Sr., of Springfield, and his son, of Kirksville, was announced by Mercer, who will take over by Oct. 1.
* Battery D, 203rd Anti-Aircraft Artillery, Automatic Weapons Battalion, returned to their armory yesterday, a tired but wiser group than when they left two weeks ago for their training at Fort Leonard Wood.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
Aug. 26, 1960
* Closing day for the Monett Municipal Swimming Pool has been set for Monday, Sept. 5, with the pool to remain open during that day, which is Labor Day.
* Nearly 10,000 pairs of glasses plus hundreds of extra lenses have been shipped by Lions in Missouri this year to the Manila, Philippines Lions Clubs to assist needy filipinos who cannot afford to purchase their glasses.
FORTY YEARS AGO
Aug. 26, 1970
* Miss Anna Christina Carlberg, of Jonkoping, Sweden, Monett's seventh foreign exchange student through the American Field Service program, will arrive in Monett late Friday to make her home during the coming school year with Mr. and Mrs. H.C. Beckwith Jr. and children.
* Mr. and Mrs. Herschel Worm, of rural Monett, represented Lawrence County as the Farm Family at the Missouri State Fair in Sedalia. They were selected by the Lawrence County Extension Council to attend the dinner meeting.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
Aug. 26, 1980
* The Barry-Lawrence Ambulance District has received delivery of a 1980 Chevrolet van ambulance, in addition to the 1977 model already in the fleet.
* Plans are underway by the Jaycee Wives for the second annual Marvelous Male Pageant, open to kindergartners and first graders at Monett Elementary.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
Aug. 26, 1990
* The 14th annual Polish Uczta (Celebration) has been scheduled for Sept. 2 at Sts. Peter and Paul Catholic Church at Pulaskfield, with the popular event to again feature authentic Polish cuisine, activities and entertainment.
* Mark P. Cruz, son of Dr. and Mrs. Sergio Cruz, of Monett, recently participated in a six-week Premedical Sciences Enrichment Program, sponsored by the University of Missouri-Columbia School of Medicine.
|TEN YEARS AGO|
Aug. 26, 2000
* On Labor Day weekend, the Waldensian Presbyterian Church will be celebrating its 125th anniversary with many activities.
* Missouri State Representatives Sam Gaskill, of Washburn, and Linda Bartelsmeyer, of Aurora, have received a 100 percent Pro-Business Voting Record for work on behalf of employers in both the 1999 and 2000 Missouri legislative sessions.