EIGHTY YEARS AGO
Aug. 25, 1930
* Howard Gulick and Lee Adams spent Sunday afternoon on White River near Eagle Rock. Mr. Gulick landed a Jack Salmon weighing three-and-a-half pounds.
* Mrs. Charles Rauch, assisted by Mrs. Leo Harback, Mrs. Robert Harrison and Mrs. Jesse Kring, entertained with a party at her home complimenting her son, Warren, who was celebrating his birthday.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
Aug. 25, 1940
* Mr. and Mrs. Jo B. Gardner, and daughter, Janice, returned home Sunday night after several weeks' absence. Gardner, who attended the officers training camp at Fort Ripley, Minn., drove to Chicago and met his wife and daughter.
* Mrs. L.S. Wallner announces the marriage of her daughter, Della, to Clifford Carlson, son of Henry Carlson on Saturday. Rev. Father Daniel Murphy read the marriage vows at his home.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
Aug. 25, 1950
* Kelly Creek was a rushing torrent this morning following a rain estimated at six inches and a severe electrical storm during the early morning hours.
* The railroad strike set for Monday morning has been called off. The trainmen now are working for the government.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
Aug. 25, 1960
* Population of Monett in the 1960 census is listed at 5,331, an increase of 11.7 percent over the 1950 count of 4,771.
* Doors open at the four Monett grade schools Monday for some 600 students as the first class room sessions of the 1960-61 school term get underway.
FORTY YEARS AGO
Aug. 25, 1970
* A 1962 Ford, owned by Clifton Miller, of Route 1, Monett, and driven by his sister, Ann Day, was damaged by fire while parked on the south side of Broadway near Patton's Shoe Store at 12:50 p.m. today. Firemen said the carburator apparently backfired with the fire damaging the carburetor and the hood.
* Monett police officials today are investigating a burglary at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Clint Suit, 319 S. Belaire, where a lady's wrist watch and a diamond pendant were stolen.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
Aug. 25, 1980
* The Monett Municipal Swimming Pool closed last night after a record season with the high attendance partially due to the extremely high temperatures that the area experienced this summer, according to Emma Enke, pool manager.
* Monett R-1 Schools showed a significant decreased in opening day enrollment with 1,478 students reporting for classes when summer vacation officially ended this morning.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
Aug. 25, 1990
* Monett Building Inspector George Rausch and Al Horner, chief structural engineer for Allgeier, Martin and Associates, carefully examined the turn-of-the-century buildings at 400, 402 and 404 E. Broadway where part of the stone fašade on the second floor collapsed. There were no injuries.
* Starting back from their best season ever, the Monett Lady Cubs varsity volleyball team will begin its 1990 season on Aug. 30. Last year the Lady Cubs were fourth at state with a 28-3-1 record.
TEN YEARS AGO
Aug. 25, 2000
* After holding steady two years in a row, the student count at the Monett R-1 School District grew by 24 students as classes resumed this week.
* This month Monett's radio station KRMO is celebrating its 50th anniversary, which is being marked in a number of ways at the station.