EIGHTY YEARS AGO
Aug. 18, 1930
* Mrs. Dave Lautaret and family have returned from a visit with relatives at Kankakee, Ill.
* Miss Alice Rohrbough, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C.B. Rohrbough, was married at Aurora, Aug. 8, to Carl White, of Mt. Vernon.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
Aug. 18, 1940
* Harold Dean Stacy received painful cuts and bruises when he was struck by a car at Second and Broadway Saturday evening.
* Mr. and Mrs. P.N. Cook and Jack had as their weekend guests at their cabin on White River, Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence McDaniel and son, Lowery, of St. Louis.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
Aug. 18, 1950
* Radio station KRMO will go on the air Monday morning at seven o'clock unless something unforeseen develops from the Federal Communications Commission, said John Daly, one of the owners of the daytime station.
* Motor cars containing the curious, who wanted a glimpse of the "ghost of west Monett," piled up last night until there was need for a traffic officer.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
Aug. 18, 1960
* The Richard Cummins family, of the Capps Creek area, has been chosen to represent Barry County as the county's "typical farm family" at the Missouri State Fair.
* Plans are being completed for the 13th annual Pierce City Vocational Agriculture Stock Show, to be held Sept. 2 and 3 under the sponsorship of the Pierce City Chamber of Commerce.
FORTY YEARS AGO
Aug. 18, 1970
* Mr. and Mrs. Sidney Ruber, of Richmond, Va., spent Monday night and Tuesday with their aunt, Miss Mary Montgomery. They were enroute to Glorreta, N.M., where they will attend a missionary meeting.
* Jerald Dean Swearingen, 39, of Mt. Vernon, died at 11:20 a.m. on Tuesday in St. John's Hospital in Springfield.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
Aug. 18, 1980
* Twenty girls have signed up to compete for the crown of Miss Monett Lion of 1980 in ceremonies to be held tomorrow at the air-conditioned Monett High School Auditorium.
* District and classification assignments for five class district football competition has been announced by the Missouri State High School Activities Association. The plan, developed by MHS Principal David Sippy, would replace the present point system.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
Aug. 18, 1990
* Chris Fuldner, Terry Fuldner, Jack Appel and George Eberle and professional Mike Springer combine to win the Cadillac Dealers of the Ozarks Pro-Am team event, part of the Ben Hogan Tour Greater Ozarks Open, held at Highland Springs County Club in Springfield.
* Thousands came to the town of Freistatt, population 139, this weekend for the 17th annual Ernte Fest. Among the performers was the local singing group, Die Freistatt Spieler, with German songs.
TEN YEARS AGO
Aug. 18, 2000
* Pierce City's Howdy Neighbor Days packed Walnut and Main streets for the weekend with rides and games from J&J Magic Midway. Blake Holland and Erica Palmer were named king and queen.
* Jerry Lewis announced her resignation from the Barry-Lawrence Ambulance District board of directors in a letter to the editor. Lewis was the sole dissenting vote as board members voted to fire administrator Nancy Martin following the disclosure of irregularities in the annual audit.