EIGHTY YEARS AGO
Aug. 4, 1930
* Jesse Kring, formerly of Monett, allegedly attempted to kidnap his eight-year-old son, James, shortly after noon and was caught by officers at Neosho and placed in jail.
* Announcement was made today of the secret wedding on April 9 of Miss Grace Mills, daughter of J.D. Mills, of Monett, and Sherman Nooney, son of Mrs. L.A. Schalf, of Monett.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
Aug. 4, 1940
* Dr. Hubert William Frings, of Raysville, Penn., has been employed by the Monett Board of Education to teach science in the Monett Junior College.
* Mr. and Mrs. Earl Gray have returned from a visit with friends and relatives in California.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
Aug. 4, 1950
* Mr. and Mrs. Wayne Wright returned this week from a short vacation spent touring in the Ozarks and visiting friends and relatives in Doniphan and Desloge.
* Mr. and Mrs. L.G. Jones and Daughter, Lou Ellen, will accompany Mr. and Mrs. Evald Rea, of Springfield, to Columbia this afternoon to attend the summer commencement exercises of Missouri University. Mr. and Mrs. Rea's son, Dean, will be one of the 650 graduates.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
Aug. 4, 1960
* Richard M. Eden, son of Mr. and Mrs. Roscoe Eden, of Route 2, Monett, recently completed an Air Force Reserve mission which took him around the world in 22 days.
* A brief but violent thunderstorm shook the Monett area about 7:30 a.m. today resulting in three fire runs due to lightning and showers measuring over an inch.
FORTY YEARS AGO
Aug. 4, 1970
* Visiting last week with Mr. and Mrs. Harrell Hall in Monett was his brother, William Hall, of Hastings on Hudson, N.Y.
* Ragtime piano at its best will highlight the first special entertainment show at the Pierce City Centennial celebration Thursday with Bob Darch as featured entertainer.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
Aug. 4, 1980
* A storm system which moved through southwest Missouri yesterday evening provided some respite from the record heat which has plagued the area, but was capricious in its distribution of moisture for the parched land.
* Grass fires continue to plague the area as Monett and Monett Rural firefighters battled two different blazes Saturday afternoon which burned acres of field and timber land.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
Aug. 4, 1990
* Four projects were targeted for study and possible action at last night's meeting of the Citizens for Responsible City Government. Fifty-two persons attended. Carl Teel presided at the meeting.
* James C. Apostol, son of Dr. and Mrs. Andres Apostol, of Monett, was nominated to be included in the 24th annual edition of Who's Who Among American High School Students.
TEN YEARS AGO
Aug. 4, 2000
* Monett's industrial leaders told representatives from the retail sector that they want to help find ways to keep spending within Monett's business community.
* Sidewalks have been replaced along most of the construction zone on Broadway. Shoppers coming in for the semi-annual downtown sidewalk sale will face no sidewalks presently on the east half of the 400 block of Broadway on the north side of the street, and the south side of the 500 block.