EIGHTY YEARS AGO
July 21, 1930
* M.E. Gillioz, contractor of Monett and Springfield, was awarded the contract for erection of the new National Hotel at Rolla. Mr. Gillioz won the contract with a bid of $145,000
* Lyle Bounous, 10 years old, who made the second attempt for the tree sitting record at 9 o'clock Friday morning, made a forced landing at 9:12 Friday evening. The orders were enforced by his mother, who was afraid to leave him in the tree at night. During the 12 hours he was in the tree, he entertained 43 callers.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
July 21, 1940
* Wesley C. Downs, 20, son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Downs, of Monett, was enlisted this week at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., for the 13th engineer's branch of the service in the United States Army. Downs will be sent to his new station at Camp Ord, Calif. for training.
* Mrs. Raymond English was the guest of honor at a delightfully appointed stork shower yesterday afternoon at the country home of Mrs. W.B. Bolton.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
July 21, 1950
* In a message to Congress, President Truman authorized Defense Secretary Louis Johnson to call for active service "as many National Guard units and as many reserves as may be required" to deal with the crisis in Korea.
* Missouri's finest small city bank will be opened for the public's inspection when the Gillioz Bank and Trust Company swings open its doors at 9:30 o'clock Saturday.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
July 21, 1960
* Willis Morlan, a city mail carrier, last night was elected commander of the Monett Hobbs-Anderson Post 91 of the American Legion.
* A hearing for the discontinuation of the Frisco Railroad's Missouri portion of the Monett-Wichita passenger run opened this morning in Joplin before the Public Service Commission.
FORTY YEARS AGO
July 21, 1970
* Temperatures were 30 degrees cooler today than yesterday as the mercury dipped into the 60's after Sunday's 90-degree weather.
* Mrs. Edna Johnson, of Dayton, Ohio, and granddaughters, Becky and Kathy Rhodes, of Lorain, Ohio, are visiting here.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
July 21, 1980
* A total of 75 head of stock has been entered in the annual Monett Junior Livestock Show.
* Voter registration in both Barry and Lawrence counties for the Aug. 5 primary election shows a dramatic increase from the last Presidential election year.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
July 21, 1990
* A Cootie Scratch has been called for Monday at Tom Wolfe Memorial Post #4207 VFW in Monett. Seam Squirrel Elmer J. Smith, of Granby, will be here, causing the scratch.
* A barbecue dinner sponsored by the Monett High School Band Boosters will be held at the Monett City Park on July 26 prior to the concert at the bandshell, to be performed by the Monett Community Band.
TEN YEARS AGO
July 21, 2000
* Michael J. Henry, chief executive officer of Jack Henry and Associates, has been judged a winner of the Kansas/Western Missouri Year 2000 Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year awards presented recently at the Hyatt Regency Crown Center in Kansas City.
* The $3.7 million upgrade that will impact all three floors of Cox Monett Hospital has begun. Construction crews have removed the walls of the east wing of the third floor.