EIGHTY YEARS AGO
July 16, 1930
* Miss Iva Suttles is assisting at the Robert Vogt Wall Paper company.
* Miss Dorothy Klein, of Kansas City, will be the guest of honor at a number of social events during her stay in Monett. She is guest of her sorority sister, Miss Louise Callaway.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
July 16, 1940
* Miss Vesta Blein, matron of the Jewish hospital nurses residence, St. Louis, is spending the week with Mr. and Mrs. Ed Salzer.
* Bobby Jones will entertain a group of friends at dinner this evening at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. R.H. Jones. Places will be laid for Betty Rush Smith, Norma Lean Magness, Dottye Lou Gillette and Katherine Coader, Gene Paine, Tim Herriman, Billy Humy, Gordon Lee Wagner and the host.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
July 16, 1950
* It was reported in local Democratic circles today that Governor Forrest Smith was expected to appoint M.M. Hess, former superintendent of schools at Cassville, as Barry County superintendent of schools.
* Mrs. P.N. (Marnes) Cook has purchased the Bon Ton Beauty Shop and will be ready for business July 19 at 9 a.m. The beauty parlor is being completely redecorated with the colors pink and white.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
July 16, 1960
* Word has been received here that Mrs. Wilma Maxine Spratt, a former resident of Monett, was found strangled to death under a tree in Salem, Ore., last Saturday morning and a man she had planned to marry was charged with the murder.
* Tommy Wright, son of Mr. and Mrs. Wayne Wright, suffered a broken right leg at 2:15 p.m. yesterday when the ice cream motor scooter he was driving overturned on Cale Street just west of Central Avenue.
FORTY YEARS AGO
July 16, 1970
* Mrs. Harry Sallee recently enjoyed a visit from her sister-in-law, Mrs. Levestra Frame and her daughter, Mrs. Smith and a friend, all of Springfield, Ill.
* Arriving here last night for a visit in Monett with Mr. and Mrs. Mike Garrett and son, Kelly, were Mr. and Mrs. O. Perry Tooker and son Perry, of Oneida, NY. The Tookers, who are college friends of the Garretts, will visit here about a week.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
July 16, 1980
* The Monett City Council is calling on local citizens to exercise restraint in water usage to avert a potential serious problem after several weeks of use exceeding well production.
* Republican gubernatorial candidate Kit Bond will be in Monett on Saturday to participate in the Bond for Governor Southwest Missouri Caravan.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
July 16, 1990
* A public meeting on the proposal to build a new $970,000 18-hole municipal golf course west of the city----a proposal which has generated strong feelings among both proponents and opponents----has been set for 8 p.m. Monday, July 23, at the Monett City Hall Auditorium.
* Around 125 head of livestock were judged at the annual Purdy Livestock Show, held at the Purdy schools.
TEN YEARS AGO
July 16, 2000
* State Auditor Claire McCaskill will be the special guest speaker at the noon luncheon meeting this week of the Monett Kiwanis Club.
* The Monett City Council announced to day that the idea of closing the railroad crossing at Central as requested by the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad was not satisfactory with the city.