EIGHTY YEARS AGO
July 8, 1930
* Mrs. A.E. Edson, who has been quite ill with appendicitis, is improving.
* Mr. and Mrs. Ed Howard and children and Mr. and Mrs. W.R. Land and little granddaughter picnicked at Pioneer today.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
July 8, 1940
* Joe I. Cantrell, of Monett, is included in the group of 143 students from Missouri registered at Northwestern University at Evanston, Ill., for the summer session.
* Miss Dorothy Henderson, who spent the past three weeks here visiting her parents, Mr. and Mrs. George V. Baldridge, has returned to her home in Salinas, Calif.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
July 8, 1950
* Four young Monett golfers, Jack Prevo, Jim Ellis, Don Collier and Jim Gorman, are pitting their skills against the other Ozark players in a Junior Chamber of Commerce tournament which started today in Springfield.
* Maurice K. Rausch, son of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Rausch, of Route 1, Monett, recently graduated with first honors from the Missouri School of Mines with a B.S. in chemical engineering, and is now employed with the Sinclair Refining Company's research and development labs.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
July 8, 1960
* A city zoning and planning ordinance and progress on improvements to the city sewage disposal plant were discussed at this morning's Monett City Council meeting.
* The Monett Fundamental Methodist Chuch will celebrate the "burning of the mortgage" on Sunday, retiring all debts on the new church building.
FORTY YEARS AGO
July 8, 1970
* Country music artist Merle Travis will be among the roster of stars providing entertainment at the Pierce City Centennial Celebration slated for Aug. 6 to Aug. 9.
* A Nebraska preacher, Rev. Billy Richardson, has begun the second half of his 1,200 mile walk along the Trail of Tears route leaving Cape Girardeau Tuesday and is expected to pass through Barry County July 23.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
July 8, 1980
* Cecil T. Doss, of Freistatt, will be sworn in as 15th District Commander at the 62nd annual Department of Missouri American Legion Convention, beginning tomorrow in Cape Girardeau.
* The fourth annual Purdy Junior Livestock Show, sponsored by the Purdy Chapter of Future Farmers of America, will get underway tomorrow with a large number of entries expected.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
July 8, 1990
* Two Monett High School students, Chris Williams and Amber Cox, are leaving next week for the Lions Club International Convention in St. Louis. They were selected to play in the Missouri All-State Lions Band, a 130-piece ensemble.
* Five farms in Lawrence and Barry counties have been selected for inspection by agriculture businessmen and researchers from across the state in the 24th annual Missouri Beef Cattle Tour on July 10.
TEN YEARS AGO
July 8, 2000
* In her Viewpoints column, State Representative Linda Bartelsmeyer wrote: "The most important issue on everyone's mind right now is the price of gasoline. According to a report from the Department of National Resources, the U.S. average retail gas price rose for the sixth straight week, increasing 6.8 cents to $1.631 per gallon, a new all-time high."
* A substantial oak tree estimated to be about 150 years old fell at 505 Walnut in Pierce City recently.