|EIGHTY YEARS AGO|
July 1, 1930
* Mrs. H.T. Osborn, Mrs. Margaret Johnson and W.W. Lehnhard were fortunate in getting to visit with the famous Will Rogers, humorist, while he was in Chicago recently. H.T. Osborn, who was a school mate of Mr. Rogers at Scarlett College, Neosho, learned that the humorist would be in Chicago and wrote asking for a meeting.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
July 1, 1940
* One of the large plate glass windows of Nick Humy's barber shop was the victim of a friendly scuffle Saturday night, when two boys were staging an impromptu wrestling match in front of the shop.
* Miss Mildred Reese has moved to Monett from Bentonville, Ark., and is employed at the Corner Pharmacy.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
July 1, 1950
* Bill Green, a Sarcoxie strawberry grower, thinks some kind of experimental farm should be set up in this area to give interested persons information on producing berries.
* Resort areas are expected to attract a great many weekenders and visitors as many will take advantage of the Fourth of July falling on Tuesday and skipping Monday as a work day.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
July 1, 1960
* Miss Nancy Shipman is the new president of the Monett Hobbs-Anderson Unit 91 of the American Legion Auxiliary. She succeeds Mrs. Minnie Balden.
* Stockholders in the Monett Industrial Development Corporation at the annual meeting re-elected Dr. Frank Kerr, Walter Reynaud and V.B. Hall to the board of directors last night.
FORTY YEARS AGO
July 1, 1970
* Dr. Francisco Esparrago, M.D., a native of the Philippine Islands, began practice today as house physician at St. Vincent's Hospital with his duties to include emergency room coverage and assistance to staff physicians.
* Visiting this week in Monett with Mike McCubbin at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Doyle McCubbin, is Miss Nell Mason, of Oklahoma City, Okla.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
July 1, 1980
* Summer street improvement program for the City of Monett is continuing with resurfacing of Euclid Avenue and County Street now nearing completion.
* Monett Summer Youth Program Swim Team competed last night in its first meet this season at the Monett City Pool against the veteran swim team from Broadville Country Club of Carthage.
|TWENTY YEARS AGO|
July 1, 1990
* An increase in the city's sewer use fee to provide additional revenues for retirement of the $1.3 million in revenue bonds, approved by voters in the April election as the city's share of a $4.6 million expansion and improvement project at the Monett Wastewater Treatment Plant, was approved Friday by the Monett City Council.
* Mamie Lane has been promoted to assistant vice president of compliance and loan administration for United Missouri Bank in Monett. Georgeanna Wormington has been promoted to assistant vice president, cashier and operations officer.
|TEN YEARS AGO|
July 1, 2000
* The plan to upgrade the City of Monett's waste treatment plant calls for major expensive changes, including changes in sewer rates.
* Release of a new portal presence on the World Wide Web by First State Bank of Purdy, Monett, Pierce City and Cassville has been announced by Ann Hall, bank president.