EIGHTY YEARS AGO
June 30, 1930
* Dr. W.M. West made a generous donation to the public library last week. He presented 50 volumes, most of it fiction.
* Miss Mayme Callan, sales lady and assistant buyer at the Millsap Dry Goods Company, is taking a vacation from duties this week.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
June 30, 1940
* Quentin Galloway has gone to Roaring River where he has employment for the summer in the hotel.
* Mr. and Mrs. Albert Shepherd of Troy, Ohio, arrived Sunday morning for a visit with their daughter, Mrs. Jo B. Gardner and family.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
June 30, 1950
* President Harry Truman today authorized General Douglas McArthur to use "certain ground troops" in the defense of the South Korea republic. The president also authorized the Air Force to conduct missions in North Korea when militarily necessary.
* Opening of the L and W Root Beer drive-in, 309 Cleveland, will be held Saturday with Mr. and Mrs. W.W. Hartman, proprietors, to be serving root beer, floats, ice cream, Coney Islands and hamburgers with curb service.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
June 30, 1960
* Nearly 200 local National Guardsmen assigned to units in Monett and Pierce City are currently making final arrangements for their annual two weeks summer field training which will be held at Camp Ripley, Minn.
* Several Monett girls and their mother advisor returned yesterday from the 34th Missouri Grand Assembly of the Order of Rainbow Girls held at the Muehlebach Hotel in Kansas City.
FORTY YEARS AGO
June 30, 1970
* Joining Mr. and Mrs. William Gates Jr. and Chris of Monett at their lake home for the weekend were Mr. and Mrs. Bill Chapman of Springfield and Connie McConnell of Rolla.
* Mrs. Mattie Hammontree, of Springfield, and Mrs. L.E. Williams, of Tucson, Ariz., were in Monett on Sunday to visit with friends here. Mrs. Hammontree was a former teacher in Monett.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
June 30, 1980
* Society Security and Supplemental Income (SSI) payments will increase by 14.3 percent, effective with July payments, and will result in average monthly increases of $30 for the 84,000 beneficiaries in the 15 southwest Missouri counties.
* Miss Amanda Jo Lowery, daughter of David and Joyce Lowery, recently celebrated her third birthday with a picnic supper at Monett South Park.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
June 30, 1990
* Tentative plans for construction of a new medical building which will accommodate eight physicians in Monett were revealed at a meeting last night of St. Vincent's Lay Advisor Board. The project will hopefully be completed by early 1992.
* Kelley Curbow, of Monett, has been appointed area chairman of Ducks Unlimited, the world's largest waterfowl conservation organization.
|TEN YEARS AGO|
June 30, 2000
* Groundbreaking ceremonies were held yesterday for the $3.7 million expansion and renovation at Cox Monett Hospital. The ceremony was held under a large tent on the northwest corner of the hospital, the spot where the hospital itself will move out further onto the lawn.
* Steve Gaw, speaker of the Missouri House of Representatives, will give the patriotic address at Monett's Fourth of July celebration this year.