EIGHTY YEARS AGO
June 23, 1930
* Bricefield is hereafter to be known as Pulaskifield, according to Rev. Father Julian Moczydlowksi at that place. This is a small Police Catholic settlement a few miles southwest of Monett. The name is to be changed in honor of Casimiri Pulaski, Polish Catholic patriot soldier and American Revolutionary War commander.
* Bill Higgins returned Sunday from Lawrenceville, Ill., where he visited his sister, Mrs. O.R. Montgomery.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
June 23, 1940
* The Quality Coal Company office was entered Saturday night and the safe and desk were rifled. As the office had been closed all summer, nothing of value was found.
* E.A. Everly left yesterday morning to attend the Frisco veterans reunion at Pensacola, Fla.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
June 23, 1950
* After more than half a century of medical practice, Dr. E.B. Wright is going to start taking things a little easier in Pierce City. The veteran physician is 88 years old and he is closing his office.
* The Monett Municipal Golf Course clubhouse was broken into last night by burglars who took candy, peanuts and cigarettes.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
June 23, 1960
* Pastor Ralph A. Mehring, of St. John's Lutheran Church, Monett, announced to day that he will preach his farewell sermon this coming Sunday.
* Monett, Verona and Aurora business and professional men will be special guests of Hoffman-Taff Inc., chemical manufacturers at the Hoffman plant in Springfield on Monday.
FORTY YEARS AGO
June 23, 1970
* Mrs. Ina Johnson left by plane yesterday for her home in Anaheim, Calif., after a month visit in Monett with her sisters, Mrs. L.J. Blankenship and Mrs. Fulton Smith and in Purdy with a brother-in-law and sister, Mr. and Mrs. Everett Cox.
* Kathy Kelly, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Curt Kelly, celebrated her eighth birthday with a swim party at the city park pool in Pierce City Saturday.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
June 23, 1980
* The existence of two additional chemical waste dumps near Verona have been revealed by former employees of Syntex Agribusiness Inc. with the sites believed to possibly be contaminated with a toxic dioxin known as TCDD.
* Bi-County Republican Women's organization will host a covered dish dinner at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday with guest speaker for the evening to be David Doctorian, candidate for the U.S. Senate.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
June 23, 1990
* Just one year after the dedication of a new $370,000 runway at the Monett Municipal Airport, plans for further improvements at the facility have been approved with application for funding hand-delivered this week to Jefferson City.
* State mandated reassessment of property in Barry County is continuing on schedule, with field personnel to be making their rounds in the area from East Purdy to the southern boundaries of the county in the near future.
TEN YEARS AGO
June 23, 2000
* "This is chapter two," said Monett Mayor Jerry Fulp, officially announcing the opening of the Monett Air Park at the municipal airport. Completion of the 5,000-foot runway enabling the Monett airport to easily handle small jet traffic was the close of chapter one in the airport's history, Fulp said.
* A cartoon on the Viewpoints page showed a renamed two-dollar bill labeled as "Redeemable for one gallon of gasoline."