EIGHTY YEARS AGO
June 16, 1930
* Miss Mildred Northern is spending her vacation with relatives in Neodesha, Kan., and Independence.
* William Estes, son of Mr. and Mrs. W.A. Estes, who is stationed at Kelley Field, Texas, is being sent to the Army technical training school in Chanute Field, Ill. He is to take a course in airplane welding.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
June 16, 1940
* Representatives from the Monett, Stones Prairie and Freistatt Lutheran churches are attending the 62nd convention of the Western District of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod at St. Louis this week. Attending are Rev. J. Grapatin and O. Klingsporn, of Monett; Rev. P. Holtzen and W. Schad, of Stones Prairie; and Rev. C. Bernthol and J. Fritz, of Freistatt.
* Lloyd Lee Higgins is visiting his grandmother, Mrs. Inez Higgins, in Shreveport, La.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
June 16, 1950
* Howard Schwandt, Monett jeweler, was elected president of the Monett Junior Chamber of Commerce and will take over helm of the young men's organization at the first meeting in July.
* The Sunshine Junior Garden Club received the club ribbon for its yearbook at the state convention of garden clubs held in Jefferson City.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
June 16, 1960
* The Monett Board of Education today announced that James W. Shannon, 23, a native of Springfield, has been hired as music instructor at Monett High School for the coming year, replacing B.C. Bundy, who resigned to accept a position in Coffeyville, Kan.
* Lester Lang, son of Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd Lang, of Wentworth, will be sponsored by the Pierce City Kiwanis Club to the Missouri Boys State event July 18 to 25 on the campus of Central Missouri State College in Warrensburg.
FORTY YEARS AGO
June 16, 1970
* Receipts by the City of Monett for the past fiscal year, ending March 31, 1970, exceeded $1 million with the collections totaling $1,033,627.23, an increase of $200,133.14 over the previous year, according to the annual audit by Brown and Deskin.
* Monett Chamber of Commerce voted last night to endorse the special $1,162,000 sewer bond proposal.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
June 16, 1980
* Monett's water supply has returned to normal following a near severe shortage which occurred two weeks ago when the line starter of the pump in the city's major water production well burned out.
* Aurora claimed the team title in the 29th annual 12-Man Southwest Missouri Golf Tournament, with six teams participating in the classic, played yesterday at the Cassville Municipal Golf Course.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
June 16, 1990
* Dana LeAnn Schoen, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edgar Schoen, of Route 3, Mt. Vernon, has qualified as a candidate for the Miss Teen of America Pageant and will compete for the 1990 Miss Tenn of Missouri title in Jefferson City July 19 to 21.
* Dewey Shirley, former Monett and Mt. Vernon resident and a graduate of Purdy High School, has received his MBA in business management at Western International University in Phoenix, Ariz.
TEN YEARS AGO
June 16, 2000
* Monett Utilities Superintendent Pete Rauch and Mayor Jerry Fulp said they feel confident that Monett's revenues from electricity sales are being used properly and in line with what the citizens of Monett want.
* Dr. Charles Cudney recently went to Spain to interview prospective teachers.