EIGHTY YEARS AGO
June 10, 1930
* Three Monett firms were broken into early Monday morning from which a quantity of merchandise was stolen. They were the garage of Leroy Jeffries, the sandwich stand of Mrs. J.W. Summers and the Ne-Hi Bottling Company.
* Mr. and Mrs. V.B. Hall are spending their vacation in New York City. They write from Coney Island that they are having a wonderful time.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
June 10, 1940
* Mrs. Neil Gillette and daughter, Dottye Lou, were the guests of Mr. and Mrs. James White, of St. Louis, during the weekend. Mrs. Gillette returned last night while Dottye Lou remained for a visit of several weeks.
* Mrs. Frances Kircher, of St. Louis, became the bride of Dr. Lewis H. Ferguson, Jr., Saturday evening in a quiet ceremony in Alton, Ill.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
June 10, 1950
* The Marionville branch of the Vaisey-Bristol Shoe Corporation is now in the stage of having the building remodeled for factory use.
* Ground was broken yesterday for the construction of a building and radio tower for the station to be established here by the Carthage radio company.
|FIFTY YEARS AGO|
June 10, 1960
* Eddie Sweeney, of Monett, has been notified that he will represent the state of Missouri at the sectional Knights of Pythias oratorical contest to be held at Sioux Falls, S.D.
* Entries in the annual Monett American Legion baton twirling contests and clinic to be held this month are being received daily by Director Homer Lee
FORTY YEARS AGO
June 10, 1970
* Bill Richardson, son of Mr. and Mrs. Kenley J. Richardson, was admitted yesterday to St. Vincent's Hospital for medical treatment after becoming ill. Richardson, who will be a senior this fall at the University of Missouri, is spending the summer months visiting here.
* Mr. and Mrs. Loren H. Wallace have received word that their son-in-law, Allen T. Dilley, was promoted to Staff Sergeant with the United States Air Force June 1, 1970. Staff Sergeant and Mrs. Dilley and son, Rusty, are residing in the Philippines.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
June 10, 1980
* Plans for implementation of an Advanced Life Support System were discussed at last night's meeting of the Barry-Lawrence Ambulance District board of directors.
* Cleo Elbert, of Newtonia, a native of Pierce city, has been employed by the Monett R-1 Board of Education to teach math and physical education at Monett Junior High School.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
June 10, 1990
* A malfunction of equipment has been cited by officials of Mid-America Dairymen as the reason for the offensive odor which has been emitted over a several month period from the company's wastewater pretreatmetnt plant.
* "Twenty-five Years of Smiles" was the theme of this year's Barry County Young Camp, which treated 100 young people to a camping experience at Camp Smokey at Roaring River.
TEN YEARS AGO
June 10, 2000
* Over $51,000 was raised to fight cancer through the fifth Relay for Life, the annual American Cancer Society fundraising event for Barry County, held at Burl Fowler Stadium in Monett.
* One of the big summer treats for young people in Monett, the annual Jaycees carnival, has been scheduled for July 19 to 22.