|EIGHTY YEARS AGO|
June 9, 1930
* Mrs. J.L. Lane, 717 Fifth St., entertained as dinner guests Miss Blanche McClure, of Springfield, Mrs. Joe Paul Lane, of Whittier, Calif., Mrs. Finis E. Englemen and daughter, Virginia Lee and Nancy Lane, of Kansas City, and Miss Hazel Harrison, of Monett, on Sunday.
* Miss Deane Wormington, who has been visiting relatives in Monett, left today for Neosho. Her father, Lisle J. Wormington, met her there and accompanied her back to Pittsburg, Kan.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO June 9, 1940
* Rome, Italy, joined the war tonight at the side of the German Nazi legions which are pressing down on France and Paris itself. Notice of the plunge into hostilities after months of teetering on the brink was made in a wildly cheered, bombastic speech by Premier Mussolini from the balcony of the Palazzo Venezia.
* Dr. and Mrs. Edward W. Cline have moved to Monett from Ozark and have taken the Erickson property on Eighth Street. Dr. Cline is director of the district health office.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
June 9, 1950
* Monett's population count today is 4,775 and 10 years ago it was 4,395. Cassville has a population today of 1,436 and 10 years ago it was 1,214.
* Princess Yasmin Kahn is running up and down the marble halls and palace steps with shoes from Monett covering her royal tootsies. The Vaisey-Bristol Shoe Corporation sent the little princess, daughter of Rita Hayworth and Aly Khan, three pairs.
|FIFTY YEARS AGO|
June 9, 1960
* Production will get underway Monday at the new Monalco Inc. factory building located in the Monett Industrial Tract.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
June 9, 1970
* Stephen Spahr, a 1965 graduate of Monett High School who is serving with the U.S. Navy aboard the USS Norton Sound out of Port Hueneme, Calif., has been promoted to Machinery Repairman Third Class.
* Most recent in a series of facility expansions at the Wells Aluminum Inc. plant in Monett, provided by the $1.1 million bond issue passed last October, is a new 14,160 square foot building for remelting operations now nearing completion just to the north of the plant.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
June 9, 1980
* John D. McPherson Jr., a native of Monett who is currently Santa Fe Railway's Eastern Division superintendent at Emporia, Kan., has been awarded a Sloan Fellowship at Massachusetts Institute for Technology.
* Rev. Fred Lynn, pastor of Corinth Baptist Church in Cassville, is planning his sixth journey to Israel with the trip scheduled for Nov. 24 to Dec. 2 of this year.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
June 9, 1990
* Rev. Mark Mildren, whose appointment as pastor of the First United Methodist Church in Monett was announced at the conclusion of the annual Missouri West Conference held May 22 to 25, has assumed his new duties and will be welcomed at a dinner Sunday at the church.
* Boys State delegates from Monett will leave June 16 for the annual session of the American Legion sponsored week-long civics program.
TEN YEARS AGO
June 9, 2000
* Monett's recycling program was called "probably the nicest outside of Springfield in southwest Missouri" by Terry Gilman, coordinator for the Southwest Missouri Solid Waste Management District.
* An architect has been hired to develop a master plan for renovations at the Monett library branch.