Purdy firefighters responded to a house fire on Sunday afternoon and were able to contain the damage to a single bedroom.
According to Purdy Fire Protection District Fire Chief Mike Redshaw, the fire was caused by a child playing with a lighter.
"This reinforces the danger of children playing with flammables," said Redshaw. "Though, we like many departments try to make children aware of these risks, some children are still tempted to play with matches or lighters.
"These types of calls often lead to the child or someone else being injured," added Redshaw. "Thankfully, this time that wasn't the case."
Firefighters were dispatched to the fire at 305 Third St. in Purdy at 2:53 p.m. The Purdy District responded with two trucks and six firefighters. Monett Fire and Rescue was called in on mutual aid. The Barry-Lawrence County Ambulance also reported to the scene.
Within 24 minutes, firefighters had contained the blaze to a single bedroom in the single-wide mobile home. According to Redshaw, the fire caused moderate damage to the one bedroom but minimal smoke damage occurred in the rest of the residence.
At the time of the fire, a mother and three children were inside the home. All four escaped the fire without injury.
Redshaw reminds area residents that there are Juvenile Firesetter programs available for children who have a history of playing with fire, particularly if they have started a fire in the past.
"I would encourage parents who have dealt with this kind of situation to contact their local fire department and inquire about this kind of program," Redshaw said.