EIGHTY YEARS AGO
May 27, 1930
* Announcements have been received of the marriage of Miss Jessie Dummitt, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. R.F. Dummitt, of Kings Prairie, to John Howard White, which took place May 26, at Marion, Ala.
* Mrs. Harry Kirk returned Saturday from Paris, Texas, where she had been for a month with Mr. Kirk who is in the hospital there.
|SEVENTY YEARS AGO|
May 27, 1940
|* Mr. and Mrs. Charles Dixon and Mr. and Mrs. John Manuel, of Kansas City, visited over the weekend with their parents, Mr. and Mrs. R.L. Manuel, 308 Fifth St.|
* Mrs. A.B. Adams has returned from Kansas City where she visited Mrs. H.G. Van Patten and daughter. While there she attended graduation exercises at Whittier School, where Dorothy Van Patton was one of the graduates.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
May 27, 1950
* The Jaycees and Frisco softball teams are in a tie for first place as the Junior Chamber of Commerce league starts its third week of play.
* Mrs. S.A. Davis, who has been ill at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Opal Frazier, for the past three weeks, was able to return to her home Wednesday.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
May 27, 1960
* Production of the new E.F. Marsh Engineering Company, located in the new Monett Industrial Development Corporation's Industrial tract, will get underway in full swing within the next week or 10 days.
* Monett's new $15,000 fire truck, which is to replace the 1955 model that was practically demolished in an accident October 21, is scheduled for delivery here next Thursday, Fire Chief Jim Nolan said.
FORTY YEARS AGO
May 27, 1970
* Fire completely destroyed a 1961 Chevrolet asphalt distributor truck at the parking lot of Tyson's of Missouri plant here at noon today.
* Mr. and Mrs. Terry Fertig and Mr. and Mrs. Gary M. Jones, of Tulsa, Okla., arrived in Monett this morning to visit with Mrs. Fertig's mother, Mrs. Ernest Mitchell, and his parents, Mr. and Mrs. James W. Fertig and family.
|THIRTY YEARS AGO|
May 27, 1980
* John Carlberg, president of Jones Truck Lines, told members of the Monett Kiwanis Club proposed deregulation of the trucking industry could result in adverse effects, particularly in smaller communities where service might be threatened.
* Construction of a new 50 by 84 foot wood frame with metal siding building at the corner of Central and Cale is nearing completion and will house two local businesses: Monett Muffler Shop and Doug's Alignment.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
May 27, 1990
* Continuing problems at the nearly $2 million Mid-America Dairymen Inc. pretreatment facility here have resulted in notices of excessive emission being issued by the Missouri Department of Natural Resources.
* Superintendent Sheldon Buxton, athletic director Joe Easter and volleyball coach Nancy Easter resigned at the Purdy R-2 school board meet.
TEN YEARS AGO
May 27, 2000
* Relay for Life, the local American Cancer Society's cancer research fundraiser, will be kicked off by a cancer survivors lap on Friday, June 9, according to Pam Wormington, chairman.
* The Monett R-1 Board of Education approved finishing the bleacher replacement project as well as upgrading and expanding the restrooms and replacing the speaker system.