EIGHTY YEARS AGO
May 26, 1930
* A wolf, which came boldly into Henry Long's barnlot at his home southeast of Monett, was shot at long range by Henry Long Jr. and killed as it was in the act of eating a sheep which it killed.
* A party composed of Sherman Debrosse, Carl Linebarger and Delmer Lassiter picnicked near Galena today.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
May 26, 1940
* Miss Hariet Siebenthaler returned home Saturday after spending two weeks in Kansas City visited her aunt, Mrs. G.W. Halle and other relatives and friends.
* Mr. and Mrs. Louis Elrod announce the birth of a nine pound girl on May 25. She has been named Mary Bliss.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
May 26, 1950
* Rain is making a late strawberry season later and little picking was done around Monett yesterday.
* George R. Wilhoit Jr., of Pierce City, will open a law practice in the offices formerly occupied by Don Pray, contractor, in the Gillioz Bank building.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
May 26, 1960
* Final preparations for the opening of the Monett City Park are now underway. The pool will open for the season Sunday at noon.
* Vance Davis, president of the First National Bank of Monett, will be guest speaker at the monthly meeting of the Monett Business and Professional Women's Club.
FORTY YEARS AGO
May 26, 1970
* Maternity ward at St. Vincent's Hospital in Monett has been an active place the last four days with 11 babies being born there since Saturday, the largest number ever in that period of time in several years, according to hospital authorities.
* Specialist Four Jerry Taylor, son of Mrs. Sue Taylor, of Monett, arrived in Monett on Friday, after a 13-month tour of duty in Vietnam with the U.S. Army.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
May 26, 1980
* A survey to determine interest in organizing a Bike Club for the summer months, and dates and hours which would be most suitable for bike hikes, is now underway by Bill Mauck, with rides to begin in June.
* A project which has been a major effort of the Pierce City Jaycees for the past three years will climax this evening with the opening of the Robert E. Kluck Memorial Field with two performances by Fairyland Circus of Texas.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
May 26, 1990
* A special meeting has been called for Tuesday at the Barry County Courthouse in Cassville by the Barry County Republican Central Committee. Purpose of the meeting is to select a candidate for county clerk to run in the August 7 primary election since Jimmy W. Terry, of Route 3, Monett, withdrew from the ballot.
* Tamara Hartin, of Aurora, was named the April Employee of the Month at Lacoba Homes in Monett.
TEN YEARS AGO
May 26, 2000
* Monett's new gymnastics program will be led by a new instructor for its summer session. Tracy Bradshaw, of Stotts City, succeeds Cheryl Thompson in heading the program, which is part of the Monett Recreation Department.
* Heading to state today and tomorrow to compete at the Class 3A track meet in Jefferson City are several members of the Monett Cubs. Qualifying at sectionals were Kyla Black, Annesha Stocker, Beth Heim, Courtney Elbert, Erica Frazier, Adam Martin, Kristen Obermann, Sarah Bowling, Emily Greer and Essica Thomas.